Ice Bears Run Point Streak to Nine Games with Win over Macon
Josh Pietrantonio and Scott Cuthrell scored in the first period and Joe Murdaca's 28 saves made it stand as the Ice Bears beat the Macon Mayhem 2-1 Friday night at the Civic Coliseum.
Knoxville is 7-0-2 in its past nine games. Macon has lost three of five.
Knoxville opened the scoring when Macon's Ben Campbell sent the puck back to Hayden Stewart in the crease. The puck was misplayed and bounced out to the slot, where Pietrantonio pounced on the loose puck for his sixth goal of the season at 4:01 of the first.
The Ice Bears doubled their lead before the first intermission with Cuthrell's one-timer at 16:35. Gehrett Sargis skated the puck into the zone and fed it to a waiting Cuthrell in the left circle. Stewart got a piece of the blast, but the puck slipped through his glove and blocker and found its way into the net.
Macon cut the deficit in half at 8:53 of the second when Zach Urban centered the puck from the right corner to Colton Wolter right in front of the crease. Wolter redirected the puck between Murdaca's pads for the only goal of the second period. Both teams went 0 of 4 on the power play with Macon getting a pair of opportunities in the third, but couldn't convert. Stewart finished with 24 saves for the Mayhem.
Both teams will head to Alabama to close out the weekend. Knoxville will visit Huntsville to take on the Havoc on Saturday night. Macon will travel to Birmingham to face the Bulls.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from February 28, 2020
- Ice Flyers Squeak Past Rivermen, 2-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- Huntsville Gains a Point in OT Loss at Birmingham - Huntsville Havoc
- Bulls Edge Huntsville in OT - Birmingham Bulls
- Ice Bears Run Point Streak to Nine Games with Win over Macon - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Lengthy Shootout Sees Dawgs Bite Marksmen - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Dawgs Drop Marksmen in Shootout, 2-1 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Wolter Scores Lone Goal in Loss to Ice Bears - Macon Mayhem
- Preview: Mayhem at Knoxville Ice Bears (Game 45) - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (14-21-7) at Marksmen (28-5-8) - 7:00 PM - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Havoc Sign College Prospect Cole Hepler - Huntsville Havoc
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.