I-Cubs Sweep Wednesday Night Doubleheader
DES MOINES, IOWA - A five-run bottom of the sixth inning in the nightcap on Wednesday night gave the Iowa Cubs a doubleheader sweep over the Indianapolis Indians, 2-1 and 6-4.
It was the 13th doubleheader between the two teams dating back to 1988. Iowa has gone 9-3 with three sweeps in its last six doubleheaders vs. Indianapolis, five of which have been in Des Moines.
The Cubs (35-43) won both games of the twinbill in comeback fashion. Jared Oliva singled home Anthony Alford following a leadoff double in the fourth inning, the only extra-base hit of Game 1, to give the Indians a short-lived 1-0 lead.
With two outs in the bottom half of the frame, Iowa starting pitcher Justin Steele (W, 2-0) hit a two-run single to center field to score the game-winning run off Steven Wright (L, 4-6). Ryan Meisinger (S, 3) then shut down the Indians offense with two perfect innings of work.
The Indians (37-42) scored four runs in the top of the fifth inning in the nightcap to take a 4-1 lead. Michael Chavis, in his first game with Indianapolis, doubled home the first two runs of the inning. Hunter Owen and T.J. Rivera then recorded back-to-back two-out RBI singles.
Five runs in the bottom of the sixth inning put Iowa over the top for a 6-4 win in Game 2. With the bases loaded and two outs, Alfonso Rivas and Nick Martini each drove in two runs with a double and triple, respectively, off Hunter Stratton (L, 0-1).
Ethan Roberts (W, 1-0) allowed one hit in 1.1 innings for Iowa in the nightcap and Scott Effross (S, 1) recorded the final two outs of the game.
The Indians and I-Cubs will play four more games this seres, the next three of which are 8:08 PM ET starts. Tomorrow night, LHP Cam Vieaux (1-1, 9.39) will face off against RHP Keegan Thompson (0-0, 0.00).
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from August 4, 2021
- Chasers' Comeback Falls Short in Wednesday Loss to Clippers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Sweep Wednesday Night Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
- Iowa Sweeps Twin Bill against Indianapolis - Iowa Cubs
- Bisons Held to Four Hits in 7-1 Loss to Lehigh Valley - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs keep strong play with 7-1 win over Buffalo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Seabold Dazzles, Muñoz Sets Hit Streak Record in Loss at SWB - Worcester Red Sox
- Big Eighth Propels RailRiders past Worcester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Edge Charlotte 4-1 for Fifth Straight Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Walls Wallops Homer in Third Straight, Bulls Fall to Redbirds 6-3 - Durham Bulls
- Redbirds Win and Even the Series at Durham - Memphis Redbirds
- Jumbo Shrimp and Tides Postponed Wednesday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Veteran Shows Top Prospect How It's Done as Albers Dazzles in Saints 12-2 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Lodolo Debuts as Saints Rout Bats - Louisville Bats
- Doubleheader Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-40) at Iowa Cubs (33-43) - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Fall 6-3 Wednesday Afternoon - Rochester Red Wings
- Behind Jackson and Eickhoff, Mets Bounce Back with 6-3 Win over Red Wings on Wednesday Afternoon - Syracuse Mets
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: August 4, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - August 4, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Atlanta Braves Pitchers Anderson, Ynoa to Rehab with Gwinnett - Gwinnett Stripers
- August 4 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Indianapolis - Iowa Cubs
- Consumer's Pub at the Park to Reopen for Bisons Season on Opening Night, August 10 - Buffalo Bisons
- Rodriguez, Leiter Jr. Named Player, Pitcher of the Month - Toledo Mud Hens
- MiLB's July Players and Pitchers of the Month Award Winners Announced - AAA East
- Tides Lose Series Opener at Jacksonville Tuesday - Norfolk Tides
- Six-Run 11th Inning Lifts Chasers over Clippers in Series Opener - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Castro's Two-Homer Day Leads Indy in Loss
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (57-63) at Omaha Storm Chasers (67-54)
- Cruz Hits First Triple-A Homer in Indians Loss
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (57-62) at Omaha Storm Chasers (66-54)
- Indians Select Indy RBI as Triple-A Final Stretch Beneficiary