Huskies Bounce Back against Rox to Open Home Stand
After losing to St. Cloud for the first time this season the night before, Duluth rebounded with an all-around strong effort to defeat the Rox 7-2 at Wade Stadium.
The Huskies got on the board in the first inning with a two-out rally started by a pair of singles by Christian Jones (Washington) and Chris Gilbody (Georgetown College). John Lagattuta (California) followed that up with a two-run double to give Duluth the quick 2-0 advantage.
In the third, Duluth added three more runs and it began when Nicholas Sogard (Loyola-Marymount), tripled and would later score on an error. Gilbody singled in the inning and later scored off the bat of Sam Baier (Augustana) and Julian Escobedo (San Diego State) dropped in a bloop single into right-center field to score Lagattuta and give the Huskies a 5-1 lead after three innings.
The dogs would add some insurance run in the fifth inning when Gilbody scored on a wild pitch and in the sixth when Tony Monroy (Georgetown College) brought home General McArthur (Missouri Baptist) on a sacrifice fly.
That would plenty of run support for Hunter Bigge (Harvard) who threw six strong innings where he struck out seven and allowed just two runs. Jason Braziel (Friends University) and Kieran Shaw (Harvard) combined for three innings of scoreless relief to seal the Huskies seventh win over the Rox in eight games.
Bigge earned the win to improve to 3-2 on the season and collected his first win at Wade Stadium in 2018. Duluth now improves to 30-16 overall on the season and 6-4 in the second half and will now get set to host the Bismarck Larks who were the first half champions in the North Division. First pitch for Saturday's contest between the Huskies and Larks is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Willmar Explodes for 10 Runs and Wins Seventh Straight - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Bounce Back against Rox to Open Home Stand - Duluth Huskies
- Dock Spiders Sweep Growlers for First Time - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bucks Defeated 10-6 by Willmar - Waterloo Bucks
- Honkers Power Past MoonDogs - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards vs. Chinooks Postponed Due to Rain - Madison Mallards
- Cargin and Gartner Selected as Northwoods League All-Stars - Battle Creek Bombers
- Eight Mallards Named to All-Star Team - Madison Mallards
- Ibarra and Tworek Named to 2018 NWL North Division All-Star Team - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters' Weekend Road Trip Starts in Green Bay - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Northwoods League Announces 2018 All-Star Selections - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Hueth Named NWL All-Star - Waterloo Bucks
- Northwoods League Announces 2018 All-Star Selections - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Two Wisconsin Woodchucks Selected for the 2018 All-Star Game - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Three Rox Players Selected to 2018 Northwoods League All-Star Game - St. Cloud Rox
- Northwoods League Announces 2018 All-Star Selections - Northwoods
- Leo Perez Named Bullfrogs Northwoods League All-Star - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Bullfrogs Clobber Rafters in 14-Run, Rain-Shortened Road Win - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Honkers Fall in Mankato - Rochester Honkers
- Bucks Fall 4-3 in Willmar Despite Late Push - Waterloo Bucks
- Home Runs Not Enough as Huskies Fall to St. Cloud - Duluth Huskies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.