Hu Leads Bulls to Pivotal Game 3 Victory
MOOSIC, PA - The Durham Bulls defeated the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders 3-0 Thursday night at PNC Field, taking a 2-1 series lead in the best-of-five Governors' Cup Finals.
Highlighting the Durham victory was the performance of starting pitcher Chih-Wei Hu, who earned the victory by tossing seven shutout innings. The right-hander scattered six hits, struck out six and didn't walk a batter, leading the Bulls to within one victory of the franchise's second straight Governors' Cup title, and sixth overall.
Durham took an early lead, as Kean Wong and Rob Refsnyder knocked back-to-back singles to open the game. Austin Meadows then grounded into a fielder's choice, scoring Wong for a 1-0 lead.
In the second the Bulls added to their lead when Brandon Snyder cracked a solo homer to center field, and Jake Cronenworth's double later in the frame scored Jason Coats for a 3-0 advantage.
The RailRiders threatened in the fifth, putting two runners aboard with one out before Hu induced an inning-ending double play. An inning later, Mike Ford was thrown out at home plate to end the frame on a relay from Joe McCarthy in left field to Cronenworth at shortstop to Mac James at home.
Seven Bulls finished with one hit apiece on the evening, and Kyle Bird earned the two-inning save by tossing the eighth and ninth frames. Mike King took the loss for the RailRiders, allowing three runs on seven hits over 6.2 innings.
The Bulls and RailRiders meet in Game 4 on Friday at 6:35 p.m. Durham has yet to name a starter, and RHP Ryan Bollinger will make the start for Scranton/WB at PNC Field.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 13, 2018
- RailRiders' Bats Silent in Game 3 Loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hu Leads Bulls to Pivotal Game 3 Victory - Durham Bulls
- Thank You, Mud Hens Fans - Toledo Mud Hens
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, September 13, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Calling All Bourban Fans - Toledo Mud Hens
- Louisville Bats 2018 Final Game Notes - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Governor's Cup Finals - Game 3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Halloween-Themed Fall Fan Fest to be Held October 27
- DBAP to Host Hurricane Fundraiser, Championship Celebration Saturday
- Durham Falls in Triple-A National Championship Game
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, September 18, 2018
- Bulls Repeat as Governors' Cup Champions