Howard Shuts Down Frisco in Shutout Win
Different script ... same great ending.
After pounding out a Texas League season-high 23 hits in Saturday night's 14-5 win, the RockHounds edged the Frisco RoughRiders, 2-0, Sunday afternoon in a game (clearly) dominated by pitching and defense.
Brian Howard, Miguel Romero and John Gorman combined on a four-hitter, with Howard going the first six innings to earn the win, Romero two innings for the hold and Gorman closing the door with a 1-2-3 ninth for his second save.
Richie Martin (see "I'm Not Tim Kurkjian," below) set up the game's first run with a leadoff double in the sixth. He stole third (his 25th thievery of the year) and scored on J.P. Sportman's 55th RBI of the season, a single to center.
Eli White gave the RockHounds a critical insurance run with a solo home run into the left field bullpen in the seventh.
Video: Midland's White belts solo homer
In handing the RoughRiders the loss, the 'Hounds gave Corpus Christi the second half pennant and ending Frisco's playoff hopes. The Hooks sweep both half-season titles and San Antonio will advance to the postseason as the South Division wild card entry.
The RockHounds have won a season-high six straight games ... have won 10-of-their last-11 and are 16-4 in their last 20 games. The 'Hounds have also clinched the series with Frisco and will finish the season with six consecutive series victories.
Brian Howard finished the season with a 4-4 mark and an outstanding 3.48 ERA in 12 starts for the RockHounds (after being promoted from Stockton at the start of the second half pennant race).
Richie Martin has hit in 12-of-14 games (.440) with five doubles, three triples, three home runs, 14 runs scored and 11 RBI. He is slugging .840 over the 14 games, with six walks for a .500 OBP.
Tyler Ramirez has hit in 27-of-31 games (.350) with 20 RBI and has reached base in 33-of-37 games (.336) with 27 RBI. He ranks third in the Texas League with 79 RBI for the season.
J.P. Sportman has hit in 14-of-15 games (.323) with three doubles, three home runs and 13 RBI.
Brett Vertigan has hit in 10-of-12 games (.357) with five runs and six RBI.
I'm Not Tim Kurkjian Or Anything, Just Sayin' ...
When he stepped to the plate for the first time on May 11, Richie Martin was hitting .214. He went 3-for-5 that night and hasn't looked back, hitting .312 since. With a 2-for-3 afternoon Sunday, Richie is now a .300 hitter for the season. He also added his team-leading 25th stolen base of the season and a .300 / 25 SB season ... in addition to being a sensational defender ... is a beautiful thing.
Monday, September 3 vs. Frisco RoughRiders
Security Bank Ballpark 2:00 p.m. (Gates open at 1:30)
- Final game of the 2018 season!
($2 admission with a cup from any area 7-Eleven)
- Radio: NewsTalk 550 with Bob Hards ... airtime 1:47 p.m.
FRI: Joe Palumbo (LH, 1-0, 1.93)
RH: Ben Bracewell (RH, 4-7, 3.15)
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from September 3, 2018
- Hooks Cruise in Regular Season Finale - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Hooks Take Rubber Match....Next up Playoffs - San Antonio Missions
- Cardinals Drop Finale 6-2 to Drillers, Season Attendance Hits 2-Year High - Springfield Cardinals
- Riders Fall 5-1 in Season Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Travs Roll in Regular Season Finale - Arkansas Travelers
- Flores Claims Batting Title But Naturals Fall in Finale - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers Sweep Cardinals in Regular Season Finale - Tulsa Drillers
- Howard Shuts Down Frisco in Shutout Win - Midland RockHounds
- Martinez Finishes with 4 Hits, Cardinals Lose 7-1 to Drillers - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.