Houston SaberCats Rugby Comes to Constellation Field
HOUSTON TEXAS: OCTOBER 17: The Houston SaberCats (formerly the Houston Strikers) and the Sugar Land Skeeters partner to bring professional Rugby to the Greater Houston area at Constellation Field, Sugar land.
The Houston ownership explained that the new name would reflect a positive & stronger image for the Houston Team, explaining that a "saber cat" was known for bringing down their competitors by force, while always staying true to their community.
"We are very supportive of the change, and we look forward to bringing first class Rugby to Houston," - Jeremy Turner, CEO of HOUSTON SABERCATS.
Notable Players include:
- Osea Kolinisau, Olympic gold Medalist (Captain) winning Fijian Rugby 7s team
- Kyle Sumison, Pagopagohokma Haini, Zach Pangelinan, and Matt Trouville: USA Eagles
- Connor Murray and Charlie Hewitt: English Aviva Premiership
- Sam Windsor and Adam Macklin: Guinness Pro 14s, Ulster stand-outs
"What better way to welcome 2018 than to bring the thrills and skills of fast paced, hard hitting, professional Rugby to the jewel that is Constellation Field in Sugar Land!" - Justin Fitzpatrick, Head Coach for Houston SaberCats and former Irish International.
"Rugby is a spectacular, free flowing sport I recommend to all our Skeeters' fans."- Jay Miller, President of the Skeeters.
The Inaugural home stand season begins on January 6, 2018 at Constellation Field in Sugar Land, where they will be welcoming some of the best teams from North America. Season Tickets are on Sale now at www.HoustonSaberCats.com .
Houston SaberCats will be joining teams such as: Austin Elite, Denver Raptors, Seattle Seawolves, New Orleans Gold, Utah Warriors and San Diego when Major League Rugby launches in April 2018.
"We are excited about Houston's new brand as they build on the tremendous community they've already developed around the organization. Over the next 18 months MLR's members will make unprecedented investments in the American rugby infrastructure and change the face of the North American game. Houston is leading the way from youth and high school programs they are building to the development of a rugby specific stadium in the heart of one of America's biggest markets." -- MLR (MAJOR LEAGUE RUGBY) Commissioner, Dean L. Howes
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from October 17, 2017
- Houston SaberCats Rugby Comes to Constellation Field - Sugar Land Skeeters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sugar Land Skeeters Stories
- Skeeters Sign Former Major League RHP Matt West
- Dodgers Purchase Contract of RHP Logan Bawcom
- Constellation Field to Host Fourth of July Celebration
- Yankees Purchase Contract of Infielder Rey Navarro
- Skeeters Sign Former Major Leaguers Colin Walsh and Rey Navarro