Houston Dynamo Transfer Alberth Elis to Boavista FC in Portugal
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo completed the transfer of forward Alberth Elis to Boavista FC in Portugal, the club announced today. In addition to the transfer fee received, the Dynamo will also retain a future sell-on percentage along with performance based add-on incentives as a part of the transaction. Additional details of the transfer will not be disclosed due to club policy.
"All of us at the Club would like to wish Alberth nothing but the best as he takes on this next step in his career to pursue his dream of playing in Europe. We are very proud to have brought Alberth here as a young player and helped him develop and grow to take on this next challenge," said Dynamo Senior Vice President and General Manager Matt Jordan. "Alberth has earned this opportunity through his commitment and performances on the field, having helped the club reach a Western Conference Final and win an U.S. Open Cup along the way. He will go down as one of the best players in the history of our club and we wish him well as he joins Boavista."
Elis joined the Dynamo on loan for the 2017 season from Monterrey in Liga MX. The forward scored 10 goals and finished with four assists in his first year with the Club. He ignited Houston's run to the Western Conference Final with a goal in added extra time to push the Dynamo past Sporting Kansas City in the Knockout Round. The Dynamo acquired the 24-year-old on a full transfer from the Liga MX side at the end of that season.
"First, I want to thank the fans for their support at every game over these last four years. You made this feel like home and I will always carry that with me. We have celebrated a lot of goals, winning the Open Cup, and you made those moments special," Elis said. "To the staff, you played a large role in preparing me for the next chapter of my career and I am eternally grateful for your confidence in me. This is a dream come true and I wouldn't be here today without the Dynamo. Hopefully, I can come back in the future. I'm excited to see what this team will accomplish under Tab and his staff. Again, thank you Houston."
Elis was the first player in franchise history to record double-digit assists and goals in the same season after he scored 11 goals and tallied 10 assists in 2018. His 21 combined goals and assists that year broke Brad Davis' club record of 20 in 2011 (4 goals, 16 assists) and 2012 (8 goals, 12 assists). The forward also represented Houston at the 2018 MLS All-Star Game against Juventus in Atlanta.
The winger emerged as one of the top attacking threats in MLS in 2018, playing a key role in Houston's first Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup title. Elis recorded an assist in the 3-3 draw with Los Angeles FC in the semifinals at BBVA Stadium. The Honduran international also recorded two assists in the final against the Philadelphia Union to claim the Open Cup with a 3-0 victory in Houston.
The 24-year-old finished with nine goals and 11 assists in his final full season with the Dynamo in 2019, tying Davis with his second season with at least 20 combined goals and assists. Elis tallied an assist in the 2019 Scotiabank Champions League as the Dynamo returned to the international stage for the first time since the 2013/2014 edition of the tournament, helping the club advance to the quarterfinals of the competition.
Elis has played in six games for the Dynamo this season and played a large role off the bench in Houston's recent three-game winning streak. The forward scored two goals and recorded three assists during that stretch as the Dynamo defeated Sporting Kansas City twice and Minnesota United.
Boavista FC competes in Portugal's Primerira Liga, the top flight of football in the country. The club is based in Porto and has won nine major domestic trophies, including five domestic cups.
TRANSACTION: Houston Dynamo reach agreement with Boavista FC for the full transfer of forward Alberth Elis.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 21, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 21, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Announces Theme Nights for Remaining Home Matches in September - Los Angeles FC
- Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego ValeriVoted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids vs San Jose Earthquakes: Keys to the Match: September 23, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- By the Numbers: Aiming for a New Club Record - Orlando City SC
- Lions Continue to Climb the Table - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Undeterred After Loss to Eastern Conference Leaders Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- Houston Dynamo Transfer Alberth Elis to Boavista FC in Portugal - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 21, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Lion's Share Hospitality to bring Exciting Food and Beverage Options to FC Cincinnati Fans - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC & Kroger to Offer Drive-Thru Flu Shots December 5 at BBVA Stadium
- Dynamo Charities to Host Holiday Food Drive at BBVA Stadium Saturday
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges
- Four Houston Dynamo Players Report for International Duty
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Defender Zarek Valentin