Houston Dynamo FC Add MartÃÂn Vasquez to Coaching Staff
HOUSTON - Houston Dynamo FC has hired MartÃn VÃ¡squez as an assistant coach, the Club announced today.
VÃ¡squez joins the Dynamo after nearly nine years with the Real Salt Lake organization and three years with U.S. Soccer as an assistant coach and scout for the U.S. Men's National Team. The 57-year-old also brings experience as a head coach in MLS, having coached Chivas USA in 2010. VÃ¡squez previously worked with Dynamo head coach Tab Ramos at U.S. Soccer from 2011-14.
"We feel excited and fortunate to add Martin to our staff," Ramos said. "His coaching experience in MLS, Europe and at the National Team level, in addition to his playing experience in Mexico and the US, brings tremendous value to our Club."
The Yahualica, Mexico native began his coaching career following a 17-year career in professional soccer across North America. VÃ¡squez began at the grassroots level in Southern California at area high school and collegiate programs prior to his two-year stint as an assistant with the San Diego Spirit of the Women's United Soccer Association. He remained in Southern California as he transitioned to the MLS coaching ranks. VÃ¡squez held assistant coach positions with the LA Galaxy in 2004 and with Chivas USA from 2005-2008.
VÃ¡squez left his post with Chivas USA in 2008 to join the coaching staff at German giants Bayern Munich under Jurgen Klinsmann. The former midfielder returned to Los Angeles in 2010 to serve as the head coach of Chivas USA.
VÃ¡squez began his tenure with Real Salt Lake in 2011 after he joined the RSL-Arizona Academy. The 57-year-old reunited with Klinsmann in 2011 and joined the U.S. Men's National Team for three years and joined Ramos as an assistant coach at the 2014 FIFA World Cup. VÃ¡squez returned to the Real Salt Lake organization full-time in 2014 as the head coach and director of soccer operations for the U-16 and U-18 teams in the Grand Canyon State. He would go on to serve as the head coach of the RSL USL Championship affiliate, Real Monarchs, in 2019.
The former U.S. Men's National Team midfielder enjoyed a 17-year professional career that began with the Los Angeles Lazers of the Major Indoor Soccer League in 1984. He featured for two more indoor clubs prior to departing for his native Mexico to play with Leones Negros U de G. He also played for Puebla and Veracruz prior to spending four years with Atlas. VÃ¡squez also represented the Mexican National Team from 1991-1992 and received a one-time exemption from in 1996 to represent the United States. He would make his USMNT debut on Dec. 21,1996 against Guatemala in a 1998 FIFA World Cup qualifying match.
The midfielder was allocated to the Tampa Bay Mutiny of MLS in the league's inaugural season in 1996. He was later named to the All-Star Game and finished with nine goals in 59 appearances for the Florida club across two seasons. VÃ¡squez retired after one season with the San Jose Clash and a brief stint with the Orange County Zodiac in 1999.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 19, 2021
- New York Red Bulls Trade Tim Parker to Houston Dynamo FC - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Defender Tim Parker from New York Red Bulls - Houston Dynamo FC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Added to U-23 USMNT January Camp Roster - LA Galaxy
- U.S Men's National Team to Open 2021 against Trinidad & Tobago on January 31 at Exploria Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Set for 2021 MLS SuperDraft on Thursday - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Signs Machop Chol as Homegrown Player - Atlanta United FC
- 91.9 Sports Becomes the New French Radio Broadcaster for CF Montreal - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Adam Saldana - LA Galaxy
- New England Revolution Re-Sign Goalkeeper Matt Turner - New England Revolution
- MLS Adds Ethan Bartlow, Bret Halsey as Generation adidas Signings - MLS
- Nashville SC Acquires 2021 and 2022 SuperDraft Selections from Philadelphia Union - Nashville SC
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $225,000 in General Allocation Money from Nashville SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Complete Transfer of Chilean International Forward Felipe Mora from Pumas UNAM - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Hires Paul McDonough as Vice President of Soccer Operations - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign Colombian Youth International Center Back Andres Reyes - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Teams up with Epic Games to Bring Soccer to Fortnite - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Add MartÃÂn Vasquez to Coaching Staff - Houston Dynamo FC
- Atlanta United Teams up with Epic Games to Bring Soccer to Fortnite - Atlanta United FC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Travel North to Face Minnesota United FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Host FC Dallas in Final Leg of Texas Derby
- Houston Dynamo FC Goalkeeper Michael Nelson Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week
- Houston Dynamo FC Match against FC Dallas on September 18 Moved to 8:30 p.m. CDT
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Travel West to Face LA Galaxy