Houston Dash Top Orlando 3-1 Behind Daly's Brace
HOUSTON - The Houston Dash weathered a 92-minute lightning delay to defeat the Orlando Pride 3-1 tonight at BBVA Compass Stadium.
A brace from FW Rachel Daly, five saves from GK Jane Campbell and FW Thembi Kgatlana's first NWSL goal spurred the home side to victory. With the win, the Dash improve to 5-6-5 on the year and just five points away from a playoff spot. Since the beginning of May, the Dash are now 5-3-3, including a 3-1-2 mark at home over that span.
The match was suspended in the 13th minute due to lightning near the stadium. Shortly after play resumed, FW Kealia Ohai sparked a fast-break for Daly, who beat Pride GK Ashlyn Harris at the far post in the 17th minute.
Daly doubled her tally in the 50th minute after Harris punched away Ohai's cross. The rebound fell to Daly, who finished off a volley for her career-high sixth goal of the season.
Orlando prevented the clean sheet five minutes later as Shelina Zadorsky's corner kick found Sydney Leroux at the near post. The U.S. Women's National Team forward beat Dash GK Jane Campbell at the near post.
The Pride ramped up the pressure late in the match and launched several attacks toward the Dash goal, but Campbell and Houston's back line stood tall time after time. Houston put the game away in fifth minute of stoppage time when FW Thembi Kgatlana raced onto a long ball from DF Allysha Chapman and poked a low shot past Harris to seal the win.
The Dash came out strong prior to the delay, as Ohai found MF Sofia Huerta running into the box in the fifth minute, but her shot was saved at the near post by Harris. Huerta was inches away from giving Houston the lead three minutes later after lunging to make contact with a cross from MF Kyah Simon inside the box.
Orlando's best scoring opportunity of the first half came in the 15th minute when the midfield won a ball to generate a one-on-one between Orlando FW Alex Morgan and Campbell. The forward's shot bounced off the bottom of the far post and eventually fell to Orlando MF Camila, but her long-range effort was saved by Campbell.
Houston returns to BBVA Compass Stadium on Aug. 5 to host Christen Press and Utah Royals FC. Tickets for the match start at $19 and are available at HoustonDashSoccer.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Thorns FC Weekly Update: July 12, 2018 - Portland Thorns FC
- Utah Royals FC Concede 1-0 to Seattle Reign FC at Memorial Stadium - Utah Royals FC
- 2019 Chicago Red Stars Season Tickets Now Available - Chicago Red Stars
- Catley Assists Rapinoe for Lone Goal in Seattle's 1â??0 Win over Utah - Seattle Reign FC
- Houston Dash Top Orlando 3-1 Behind Daly's Brace - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Houston Dash Forward Kealia Ohai Named to U.S. Women's National Team Preliminary Roster for Tournament of Nations
- Houston Dash Fall 3-1 in Oregon to Portland Thorns FC
- Houston Dash Top Orlando 3-1 Behind Daly's Brace
- Houston Dash vs. Orlando Pride Match Set to Resume Play at 9:43 p.m. CDT
- Play Suspended in Houston Dash vs. Orlando Pride Match Due to Inclement Weather