Hot Rods Game Notes
Yesterday... The Bowling Green offense stalled out in a 10-0 shutout loss to the Wilmington Blue Rocks in the opening game of a six-game set between the Hot Rods and Blue Rocks. Homers by Wilmington hitters Jeremy Ydens and two off the bat of Justin Connell proved to be more than enough to put away the Hot Rods, who lost in a shutout for just the second time this season. Diego Infante led the way for BG with two hits.
Clinched... After an early Greensboro loss on Sunday, Bowling Green locked up home-field advantage for the High-A East Championship. The Hot Rods had originally clinched their postseason berth on Thursday with a win in game one of the doubleheader. Bowling Green has their final homestand this week before playoffs start on September 21st.
21 and Over... Grant Witherspoon's homer on Sunday tied Evan Edwards for the team lead at 22. Both Edwards and Witherspoon are tied for the single-season franchise record, sharing a spot with Derek Dietrich who hit 22 back in 2011. Jordan Qsar crushed his 21st long ball of the season on Friday, keeping the home run race close.
On the Road... Sunday marked the final game for Bowling Green's road schedule in the 2021 regular season. BG finished the season 38-22 away from home, batted .263 with 101 homers. The pitching posted a 4.38 ERA through 60 games with 547 strikeouts to 167 walks over 508.0 innings of work. Jordan Qsar played the most road games on the team (51) but Hill Alexander led the team in road batting average for players of 20+ games with a .378 BA. Qsar has led the team with 14 road homers and 43 RBIs while Grant Witherspoon led the team with 38 runs scored. Carlos Garcia and John Doxakis tied Jayden Murray with four road wins for the pitching staff while Chris Gau appeared in 16 games with a 2.38 ERA, the lowest on the team. Jacob Lopez and Zack Trageton each led the way with 44 strikeouts.
Yesterday's Notes... Tuesday marks just the second shutout of the season for the Hot Rods... The other was a 5-0 loss to the Rome Braves on June 16... They're 7-2 in shutouts this year... Between August and September the Hot Rods are 12-7 at home... The team was 29-7 at Bowling Green Ballpark through the first three months of the season... Infante had his second multi-hit game of the season with BG... Tuesday was the first time since September 1 BG didn't hit a homer in a game...
Now Pitching: Micahel Mercado... Mercado takes the mound for the 22nd time this season and his 19th start of 2021. The righty has a 10.1 K/9 and a 2.0 K/9 this season with Bowling Green. He's throwing a strike on the first pitch of an at-bat 57.2% of the time while getting called strikes against opponents 16.1% of the time. 31% of contacted balls against Mercado are ground balls, but 20% of all fly balls off the righty leave the ballpark resulting in a 2.0 HR/9. Right-handers have benefitted from a .316 BABIP
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Brooklyn Hits Three Homers, But Falls 4-3 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Big Night for De La Cruz in 4-3 Wednesday Win - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Drive Blank Ironbirds, 4-0 - Greenville Drive
- Tonight's Game Postponed - Rome Braves
- Hot Rods Reveal 2022 Schedule - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Blue Rocks Release 2022 Season Schedule - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Tourists Put Dash Away 10-1 in Game Two - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hot Rods and Blue Rocks Canceled on Wednesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Tourists Open Road Trip with Shutout Win - Asheville Tourists
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 15) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hoppers Win at Hudson Valley, Pull One Win Away from Postseason Berth - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hoppers Push Gades to Brink - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Wilmington Rocks Bowling Green in 10-0 Shutout Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.