Hot Rods Even Series with 4-2 Win Over Cubs
SOUTH BEND, IN - The Bowling Green Hot Rods served up a 4-2 win over the South Bend Cubs this evening. The game featured seven different pitchers, and lasted just 2 hours, 14 minutes.
The Hot Rods scored twice in the top of the third. CF Jake Stone led off the inning with a single, and then scored on a throwing error following a bunt by 2B Justin Bridgman, and it was 2-0 Bowling Green.
The Cubs got a run back in the bottom of the inning on a triple and an error, making it a 2-1 game.
Bowling Green added two insurance runs in the eighth when RF Moises Gomez singled in SS Taylor Walls. Gomez scored on an RBI double from LF Jim Haley, making it a 4-1 game.
South Bend threatened in the ninth and scored a run, but the Hot Rods were too much in the end.
RHP Mikey York (2-0, 2.77) was fantastic and earned the win. He threw five innings, allowing three hits and an unearned run, striking out a season high seven. RHPs Alex Valverde and Tyler Day each threw scoreless relief outings, while RHP Matt Seelinger earned his third Hot Rods save. He allowed two hits and a run, striking out one.
The series wraps up tomorrow at 7:35 pm Eastern time. Bowling Green will send RHP Paul Campbell (3-1, 2.93) to the hill, while South Bend will counter with RHP Enrique De Los Rios (3-3, 2.56).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Late Game Heroics Move Snappers Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Suwinski Extends Hot Streak, But TinCaps Fall - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Pull Away Late for 7-3 Win Over Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Despite Loss, Loons Clinch Playoff Berth - Great Lakes Loons
- De La Rosa, Pearce Propel 'Caps to Wildcard Tie - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Big Inning Beats Burlington - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits strikeout 18 in LumberKings loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Clinch Winning Season - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall to Cougars 3-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Strike out 18 on Way to 7-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Smyly Dazzles in One Inning, But Cubs Downed by Bowling Green 4-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Fall to Whitecaps in Next-to-Last Home Game of 2018 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Even Series with 4-2 Win Over Cubs - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. Lake County (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Squandered Opportunities Haunt Captains - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Win, Stay in Playoff Position - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.