Home-Win Bound: Sens Close 2018 with Sweep
The Harrisburg Senators downed the Richmond Flying Squirrels 7-3 in the final game of the season Monday afternoon at The Diamond. The Senators scored four runs in the seventh to break a 3-3 tie as the club completed the four-game series sweep and finished a season-best seven games of .500
After four consecutive scoreless innings to start, the Senators grabbed the lead with three runs in a nine-batter fifth. Six of the first seven Senators batters recorded hits, including run-scoring singles by Osvaldo Abreu, Logan Darnell and Alec Keller. For Darnell, the single was the first hit of his professional career.
On the mound, Darnell tossed five shutout innings of two-run ball while limiting the 'Squirrels to five hits and a walk.
Richmond cut the lead to one with a pair of runs in the bottom of the frame on a Ronald Jebavy two-run home run. They completed the comeback in the sixth when Matt Lipka doubled in Caleb Gindl.
With the score tied 3-3, the Senators jumped ahead for good with four runs in the seventh. Dan Gamache started the rally with a double and he was singled home by Austin Davidson which gave the Senators a 4-3 advantage. Later in the frame, Abreu added another run to the lead with a groundball single to right. One batter later, Hunter Jones ripped a two-run double over the head of Jebavy in centerfield as the Senators expanded their advantage to 7-3, which would be the final score.
Bryan Harper picked up the win with two-thirds of an inning of scoreless relief, while Sam Wolff took the loss after surrendering all four runs in the eighth.
The Senators end the season 72-65, a season-high mark over .500 and they won eight of their final nine games. The four-game road series sweep was the Senators' first since August 25 to 27, 2011 at New Hampshire.
The Senators begin the 2019 season on April 4, 2019 at FNB Field against the Bowie Baysox.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from September 3, 2018
- Home Run Derby Lifts Bowie to 17-6 Romp - Bowie Baysox
- And That's a Wrap: 'Dogs Win 8-7 in 11 Innings at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- RubberDucks Rally in Fifth, Take 7-4 Win in 2018 Finale - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Socked by Bowie in Regular-Season Finale - Altoona Curve
- Fisher Cats Take 5-3 Loss to Hartford in Final Playoff Tune-Up - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Denier Is Served: Lopez' Blast Puts Down Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Yard Goats Blast Three Homers and Win Final Game of 2018 - Hartford Yard Goats
- SeaWolves Drop Season Finale to Ducks - Erie SeaWolves
- Home-Win Bound: Sens Close 2018 with Sweep - Harrisburg Senators
- Goodbye Baseball; Squirrels Capture Attendance Title - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 2018 Season ends in Trenton - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Walk off in Regular-Season Finale - Trenton Thunder
- Keller, Amburgey, Reeves Take Home 2018 Season Awards - Trenton Thunder
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #139 - Rumble Ponies (64-75) vs. Sea Dogs (62-76) - 1:05 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes September 3rd at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Harrisburg Senators Stories
- Ward Doubles Three Times in 10-5 Loss to Altoona
- Sadgal Blasts Sens to 5-4 Win over Altoona
- Taylor Homers, Pitching Superb, Sens Win 1-0 over Altoona
- Taylor Provides Game Winning Hit in Sens 3-2 Walk-Off Win
- Senators and Reading Fightin Phils Postponed Friday Night