Holderman Picks up Win in Return to Mound
COLUMBIA, SC - Colin Holderman last pitched in a professional baseball game on August 21, 2017. The 23-year-old right-hander had missed all of the 2018 season recovering from Tommy John surgery before he made a triumphant return to the mound on Sunday. Holderman logged five impressive innings against Lexington at Segra Park and led Columbia to a 3-1 win.
Holderman (W, 1-0) allowed just the one run and walked one. The win snapped the Fireflies' five-game losing streak.
Columbia's (9-20) starter watched as his team took a 2-0 lead in the fourth. After Holderman allowed a run in the fifth, he let his defense behind him do the rest. Holderman forced Michael Gigliotti to bounce into a critical 4-6-3 double play to end Lexington's (14-15) threat.
Brian Sharp's fourth dinger of the year the following inning handed Columbia the breathing room it needed. Fireflies reliever Alec Kisena (S, 1) then shut the door in the sixth and seventh innings. Columbia can now split the series with a win in the finale on Monday.
Bottom 4: Chase Chambers' sacrifice fly scores Ronny Mauricio ... later, with the bases loaded, Walter Rasquin hits hard grounder to shortstop Jeison Guzman; Guzman commits error, Mark Vientos scores. COL 2, LEX 0
Top 5: With the bases loaded, Matt Morales reached on a fielder's choice, scores Juan Carlos Negret. COL 2, LEX 1
Earlier in the afternoon, the Fireflies continued their suspended game from Saturday night. The game resumed in the fourth inning. Columbia eventually lost the game, 11-1.
The series finale between Columbia and Lexington is set for Monday at 7:05 ET at Segra Park. Right-hander Simeon Woods-Richardson (0-3, 3.50) starts for the Fireflies and faces Legends southpaw Austin Cox (0-3, 4.68). Tune into the action at FirefliesLiveStrea.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 5, 2019
- 'Birds Stun Asheville with Five-Run Rally - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Charleston Holds off Greenville, 4-3, on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Overcome Shaky Start to Take Down Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Asheville Lets One Slip Through Their Grasp - Asheville Tourists
- Nevarez Goes Yard in 8-2 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Giarratano Gives GreenJackets Walk-Off Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Holderman Picks up Win in Return to Mound - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Walked-Off on for Third Time in 2019 - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves and BlueClaws Rained Out on Sunday - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 5) - West Virginia Power
- Five-Run Third Too Much for Power in 6-3 Loss - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Jose Medina Homers Again in Friday Night Loss to Greenville
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 19 at Greenville (Game 95)
- Jose Medina Flashes the Power, Columbia Records Homer in Third Straight Game
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 18 at Greenville (Game 94)
- Vientos and Newton Both Go Yard in Finale in West Virginia