Holderman Dazzles Again in Augusta
RTH AUGUSTA, SC - Columbia starter Colin Holderman (W, 3-0) impressed yet again on Wednesday night. The Illinois-native notched his third win in as many starts since joining the Fireflies roster on May 5th. Holderman allowed just one run on two hits in five innings on the mound. The righty's ERA currently sits at 1.76 in 15.1 innings of work in 2019.
What Holderman started, the rest of the Fireflies (14-25) bullpen finished. Righty relievers Darwin Ramos (H, 2), and Bryce Hutchinson (S, 1) threw the final four innings
at SRP Park. Together, they retired 12 of the final 14 batters Augusta (19-19) sent to the plate. The Fireflies bullpen has yet to allow a run against the GreenJackets this series.
At the plate, Columbia centerfielder Hansel Moreno made a significant impact. Moreno played 89 games with the Fireflies last season, and made his return to Pedro Lopez's lineup on Wednesday. The switch-hitter registered three hits in five trips on the night. Moreno knocked in a runner in the second with a fielder's choice, then launched a solo-homer in the seventh that sealed the game.
With the win, Columbia improves to 14-25 on the year, and have won five of their last seven games.
Top 1: Shervyen Newton singles, Hansel Moreno scores. COL 1, AUG 0
Top 2: Hansel Moreno reaches on a fielder's choice, Wagner Lagrange scores. COL 2, AUG 0
Bottom 5: Nico Giarratano singles into right, Diego Rincones scores. COL 2, AUG 1
Top 7: Hansel Moreno hits a solo-homer to right. COL 3, AUG 1
The Fireflies will conclude their series against Augusta on Thursday. The rubber match has a scheduled first pitch of 7:05 ET. You can watch on MiLB.TV or tune in live at FireFliesLivestream.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 15, 2019
- RiverDogs Survive Late Power Rally, Walk off for Second Straight Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Late-Inning Rally Falls Short in Extras - West Virginia Power
- Drive Clip Crawdads, 6-5, on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Offense Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- Holderman Dazzles Again in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 15 at Augusta (Game 39) - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Split Pair with 'Hoppers - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Olague Leads Braves to another Win over Tourists - Rome Braves
- Claws Rally for 3-2 Wednesday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (May 15) - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Early Lead Again - Hagerstown Suns
- Schmidt Showcases Electric Stuff But Receives No Help - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Vientos, Lagrange Notch Multi-Hit Games, Columbia Drops Opener in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Defeats Asheville 5-1 in Series Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta