Hogs Cap 2017 with Loss at Chicago Wolves
ROSEMONT, Ill. - The Chicago Wolves scored three goals in the third period to ice a 6-2 victory over the Rockford IceHogs on Saturday night at the Allstate Arena.
The IceHogs conclude the 2017 calendar year with an overall record of 18-13-1-1 and ranked second in the AHL's Central Division.
Tyler Sikura and Luke Johnson scored for the IceHogs, with Sikura lighting the lamp for the third straight contest. Sikura has now totaled four points (3g, 1a) over his last three games, while Johnson, who was named last season's Rookie of the Year, has nearly matched his point total from 2016-17 (17 points) with 15 points (7g, 8a) through his first 33 contests this season.
Goaltender Matt Tomkins turned away 25 of 31 shots in his AHL debut for the IceHogs. Tomkins' counterpart, Kasimi Kaskisuo, made 29 saves to improve to 4-2-0 over his last six appearances.
Tomas Hyka potted a pair of goals in Chicago's winning effort and Bradon Pirri extended his goal streak to four games with his tally in the first period. Pirri is Rockford's all-time leading point scorer and concluded tonight's matchup with 5g-2a-7pts in seven tilts against his former IceHogs club.
Rockford will return to action with its first game of 2018 on Jan. 2 vs. the Cleveland Monsters at the BMO Harris Bank Center. Puck drop is 7 p.m.
Next Home Game: The Rockford IceHogs return to the BMO Harris Bank Center to take on the Cleveland Monsters on Tuesday, Jan. 2. The first 1,000 kids ages 14 and under will receive a free youth IceHogs jersey, courtesy of Ortho Illinois.
300 Elm Street
Rockford, Illinois 61101
The IceHogs events, dates, times and prices are subject to change without notice. Discounts not applicable to prior sales, subject to availability and cannot be combined with any other offer. Use of the IceHogs name, logo or any other images is prohibited without written permission from the Rockford IceHogs Professional Hockey Club.
Copyright 2017, Rockford IceHogs Professional Hockey
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 2, 2018
- Hogs Cap 2017 with Loss at Chicago Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Turgeon Scores Twice, Griffins Win by Two - Grand Rapids Griffins
- POSTGAME NOTES & QUOTES: December 30, 2017, San Diego 6 at Texas 3 - San Diego Gulls
- Hyka, Megan Push Wolves' Point Streak to 10 - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Defeat Comets, in 11 Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Alex Lyon Spectacular in 2017 Finale - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Practice Canceled + January Practice Schedule - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Doubled up by Rocket in Final Game of 2017 - Rochester Americans
- PENGUINS BEAT BEARS WITH DOMINIK SIMON'S OVERTIME WINNER - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Christopher Gibson records his second shutout of the season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.