Hishon Inks Deal with Colorado
The Owen Sound Attack is pleased to announce that forward Joey Hishon has signed an entry level contract with the Colorado Avalanche. The 19-year-old center is in his fourth season with the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League, where he has tallied 83 points (36g/47a) in just 48 games this year. Hishon's 1.73 points-per-game average is tied for first among all OHL skaters. Despite missing 17 games, the Stratford, Ontario native leads the Attack in assists and ranks second in points.
"I'm thrilled to be signing with the Avalanche," said Hishon, who will continue to play with the Attack for the remainder of their season. "Colorado has a young and exciting team and I look forward to being a part of their future."
Hishon was recently voted the "Best Playmaker" and "Best Stickhandler" in the OHL Western Conference Coaches Poll for the 2010-11 season.
"We are pleased to come to terms with our top draft pick," said Avalanche General Manager / Executive Vice President Greg Sherman. "Joey has had a solid junior career and we look forward to him beginning his pro career with our organization."
Hishon was limited to 36 games with Owen Sound in 2009-10 but still produced 40 points (16g/24a) for a team-leading 1.11 points-per-game average. In 2008-09, he led Owen Sound in goals (37), assists (44) and points (81) and was voted the "Best Playmaker" and "Best Stickhandler" in the OHL's Western Conference by the league's coaches. Hishon has collected 252 points (109g/143a) in 213 career games during his major junior career.
Hishon represented Team Canada at the 2009 IIHF World Under-18 Championship and was the team's leading scorer with 10 points (5g/5a) in six games. The 5-foot-10, 170-pound center also was named to Team Ontario at the 2008 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2011
- Jack Campbell Named Spitfires Player of the Week - Windsor Spitfires
- Watling to Practice with Storm - Guelph Storm
- Three Games Remaining for Attack - Owen Sound Attack
- Canadian Hockey League and Pert Plus Announce National Partnership - OHL
- Limited Tickets Available for this Thursday's Game Vs. Saginaw - Windsor Spitfires
- Chevrolet Cruze Shootout Will Take Place Sunday, March 20th - Oshawa Generals
- Hishon Inks Deal with Colorado - Owen Sound Attack
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.