Hilliard Homer Saves Day for Yard Goats in DH Split
Portland, ME - The Hartford Yard Goats (3-8) split a doubleheader with the Portland Sea Dogs (4-6) on Tuesday night at Hadlock Field in Portland, Maine. It was the Yard Goats and Sea Dogs first games since Saturday as both clubs were postponed on Sunday and Monday due to inclement weather. After dropping the first game 8-2, the Yard Goats trailed 1-0 in the fifth inning until Sam Hilliard blasted a three-run home run to five Hartford the lead and eventual 6-3 victory. Esteban Quiroz got the Sea Dogs offense off to a nice start with a three run homer in the first inning and Cole Sturgeon had four hits, including a two run home run as the Sea Dogs won the opening game 8-2. Kyle Hart hurled six scoreless innings to earn his first win for Portland.
In game one, the Sea Dogs scored three runs on one swing of the bat in the first inning. Cole Sturgeon led off with a single, Danny Mars walked and Esteban Quiroz cranked a three-run home run off Hartford starter Parker French to give Portland a 3-0 lead. The Sea Dogs added single runs in the third and fifth innings to lead it 5-0. Then Cole Sturgeon ripped this fourth hit of the game into the right field pavilion seats to make it 8-0 Sea Dogs.
Meanwhile, Sea Dogs starter Kyle Hart was impressive and hurled six scoreless innings. The Yard Goats did strand seven runners over the first six frames but the lefty made some big pitches with runners on base and was not hurt by a big hit. The Yard Goats scored a pair of runs in the ninth inning off reliever Jake Cosart on an RBI double by Garrett Hampson and RBI single by Brendan Rodgers.
In the nightcap, the Yard Goats were held to just one hit over the first four innings against Sea Dogs starter Matt Kent. In the fifth inning, the Yard Goats got back to back walks and then Yonathan Daza doubled Ryan Metzler home to tie the game at 1-1. Sam Hilliard followed with a three-run homer, his third of the season, to give Hartford a 4-1 lead. Jason Garcia pitched well in relief to earn the win and Matt Pierpont worked a perfect ninth for the save.
The Yard Goats continue their two-city six game road trip and play the third game of a four game series against the Portland Sea Dogs on Wednesday evening at 6:00 PM. RHP Ryan Castellani will start for Hartford while RHP Kevin McAvoy will counter for New Hampshire. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Wilson Sends Senators to 4-3 Walk-Off Win over Reading - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs and Yard Goats Split Twinbill - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Flurries Even Series at a Game Apiece - Reading Fightin Phils
- Hilliard Homer Saves Day for Yard Goats in DH Split - Hartford Yard Goats
- McNeil Powers, Bashlor Slams Door, Ponies End Skid - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Hunter Jones' Big Night Not Enough in 6-0 Loss to Reading - Harrisburg Senators
- Tim Tebow's Two Doubles Too Much for Fisher Cats - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- High Five: Anderson Delivers Fifth Straight Richmond Win - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Hearn Strikes out Seven as Curve Fall at Akron - Altoona Curve
- Bats Quiet as Squirrels Blank Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Bieber Fever Continues as RubberDucks Chill Altoona Bats 2-0 - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 17th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Snow Day in Erie - Trenton Thunder
- SeaWolves and Thunder Postponed Tuesday - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes vs. Reading - Game #10 - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Yard Goats to Host Connecticut's Largest Halloween Trick Or Treat Community Event
- Hartford Yard Goats Recognized as Top Promotional Club in Eastern League in 2018
- Yard Goats Named 2018 Commitment to Charity Award Winner by Ballpark Digest
- Yard Goats 2018 Recap
- Yard Goats Blast Three Homers and Win Final Game of 2018