Hillcats President Named Executive of the Year
LYNCHBURG, Va. - Lynchburg Hillcats President Chris Jones has been named the 2017 Calvin Falwell Executive of the Year for the Carolina League. This marks the second time Jones has won a league Executive of the Year honor. During his time with the Lake Elsinore Storm, he was recognized as the 2008 California League Executive of the Year.
"To be awarded the Calvin Falwell Executive of the Year Award and to be recognized by my peers for what we accomplished in Lynchburg this season is a great honor" said Jones. "I wouldn't be receiving this award without the tremendous work and support from countless groups of people, including our phenomenal front office staff, our loyal fans, Elmore Sports Group, and the Lynchburg community. I also want to thank Carolina League Manager of the Year Tony Mansolino and his incredible supporting cast of coaches that made 2017 such a special year."
Under Jones' guidance, the Hillcats had a successful 2017 campaign that began with a busy offseason of rebranding, renovations and creating community initiatives, which helped overall attendance grow more than 10 percent from 2016. Those fans that attended Hillcats games in 2017 enjoyed numerous new features at City Stadium, such as a new playing surface, an expanded netting system for fan safety, a new VIP seating area behind home plate, an expanded and resurfaced parking lot, the Starr Hill Brewery Tap Room, and much more. Lynchburg capped off the season by defeating the Frederick Keys at home to claim its first Carolina League title since 2012.
"It's been a magical year," said Jones. "We aimed incredibly high with our goals and objectives for 2017. Now that we've had a chance to catch our breath and look back, it's remarkable to see how much we achieved in just one season and we plan to make 2018 an even better year!"
For information about tickets for the 2018 season to watch the Hillcats defend their Carolina League Championship, fans can either call (434) 528-1144 or visit the Hillcats Box Office Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from October 10, 2017
- Jen Brunson and Pelicans Earn Carolina League Honors - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Blue Rocks Win Carolina League's Matt Minker Award - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- [P-Nats Media] Potomac Nationals Named Larry MacPhail Award Finalist - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats President Named Executive of the Year - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lynchburg Hillcats Stories
- Big Second Inning Lifts Hillcats over Pelicans
- Pelicans Stun Hillcats, Score Eight Unanswered Runs to Win Series Opener
- Tapia's Eighth Inning Blast Caps Lynchburg's Comeback Win
- Hillcats Beat P-Nats, Rain in Series-Opener
- Hillcats and Nationals Postponed on Friday