Hillcats Blanked by Salem in Rubber Match
LYNCHBURG, VA - The Lynchburg Hillcats got the winning run to the plate in the ninth inning but could not convert in a 3-0 loss to the Salem Red Sox in Saturday's rubber match at City Stadium. Greg Ross allowed just one run in seven innings but took the loss for the Hillcats. Levi Hyams had one of the three Lynchburg hits to extend his hitting streak to six games.
The Hillcats (15-23, 51-56) failed to back up Ross, who was perfect through 4.1 innings before a soft liner fell into right field. Ross responded by immediately getting a double play; he faced the minimum through five innings. Ross (7-5) went seven innings total and allowed a run on four hits and a walk while striking out five batters. Ross has gone a season-high seven innings each of his last two outings.
The Red Sox (21-20, 54-57) finally snapped the scoreless tie in the seventh inning. Keury De La Cruz led off with a double off the center field wall. Ross got back-to-back strikeouts before Mookie Betts drove a first-pitch line drive into left field to plate the run. The score snapped a string of 35.2 innings without Hillcats starting pitchers giving up an earned run.
Salem starter Mike Augliera (7-6) allowed just one hit in seven scoreless innings. He struck out four and walked a man. He didn't allow a hit past the second inning and at one point retired 15 straight Hillcats.
The Red Sox pulled away with two runs in the ninth. A walk and three straight hits drove in a pair. Stefan Welch doubled home De La Cruz then scored himself on a ground ball single by Blake Swihart.
Emerson Landoni and Kyle Kubitza had back-to-back singles and David Rohm was grazed by an 0-2 pitch to load the bases for Josh Elander but he hit a high chopper for a game-ending double play.
The Hillcats have their final off day of the regular season Sunday before beginning a six-game road trip Monday in Winston-Salem, NC. First pitch between the Dash and Hillcats is set for 7pm with Jarett Miller (8-6, 3.42) taking the mound for Lynchburg against Jake Cose (3-4, 5.26) for the Dash. Join Erik Wilson for the live radio broadcast starting with the Hillcats On-Deck Show, powered by Honda/Suzuki of Lynchburg, at 6:40pm on 97.9 FM The Planet and lynchburg-hillcats.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 3, 2013
- Nationals Shoot Down Pelicans 6-3 - Potomac Nationals
- Lopez, Selman And Culver Combine To Lead Wilmington To Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Amazing Augliera Helps Sox Shutout Hillcats 3-0 - Salem Red Sox
- Blue Rocks Avoid Sweep, Snap Dash's Win Streak - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Swept in Potomac, Fall 6-3 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wager Wizardry on Display - Frederick Keys
- Wager's Gem Grounds Mudcats - Carolina Mudcats
- Hillcats Blanked by Salem in Rubber Match - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Salem Red Sox Game Notes - Salem Red Sox
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (August 3 V. Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Mudcats Announce Carlos Danger Night - Carolina Mudcats
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.