Hessman to be Inducted into the International League Hall of Fame
The International League announced Mike Hessman, the all-time home run king of the Toledo Mud Hens, the IL and Minor League Baseball, will be inducted into the League's Hall of Fame. Hessman joins Columbus President and General Manager Ken Schnacke as members of the Class of 2018.
The Toledo Mud Hens will host a special pregame induction ceremony to honor Hessman prior to its game on Thursday, August 16 at Fifth Third Field.
A member of the Mud Hens' back-to-back Governors Cup Championship teams in 2005 and 2006, Hessman hit a total of 433 home runs during his minor league career between 1996 and 2015. That includes 288 home runs with four teams in the International League (Toledo, Richmond, Buffalo, Louisville), with 184 of those coming in a Toledo uniform.
Hessman was named the 2007 IL Most Valuable Player, hitting .254 with 31 home runs and 101 RBI while leading Toledo to a divisional title and the team's last post-season appearance.
Also known as a top-level defensive player and model teammate, Hessman has remained in the Tigers organization as a coach since retiring after the 2015 season. This year, he will serve as hitting coach of Detroit's Eastern League affiliate in Erie, Pennsylvania.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from February 13, 2018
- RailRiders University Community Series begins on April 2 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings to Hold New Lease on Baseball Life Sale - Rochester Red Wings
- $40 Early Bird Pack Includes Opening Day - Rochester Red Wings
- Hessman to be Inducted into the International League Hall of Fame - Toledo Mud Hens
- Clippers President & GM Ken Schnacke Inducted into IL Hall of Fame - Columbus Clippers
- International League Announces Hall of Fame Class of 2018 - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.