Hernandez Crushes Game-Winning Grand Slam to Beat 51s 8-5
Teoscar Hernandez's first career grand slam launched the Grizzlies (8-8) to an 8-5 victory over Las Vegas (8-8) Friday night for their second series win of the season. This was Fresno's largest come from behind win this season, and the first time the Grizzlies won when their opponent scored first (1-5).
Las Vegas put numbers on the board early with contribution from Xorge Carrillo (2-for-3), who hit a two-run homerun in the second and would eventually score in the fifth to give the 51s a 5-0 lead.
LHP Sean Stutzman made his Triple-A debut in relief for the Grizzlies in the sixth. He spent the 2016 season with the Tri-City ValleyCats of the New York Penn league (2-2, 5.40), and made two relief appearances with Corpus Christi this season. In his debut Friday night, Stutzman went two innings allowing no runs on one hit and one walk with one strikeout.
The Fresno bats came alive in the sixth and tallied two base hits, followed by a three-run bomb to right-center by A.J. Reed. His third home run of the season also marked his second consecutive three-RBI night.
Preston Tucker's 11-game hit streak may have come to an end, but his bases loaded walk in the eighth put the winning run on second base for the Grizzlies. Down 5-4, Hernandez crushed a grand slam to left field to put Fresno ahead 8-5. His fourth homer was the first time a Grizz player had a four-RBI game this season. The nine-batter eighth was the third such inning in two games.
Adam Wilk (2-2) pitched seven complete innings for Las Vegas in the loss, allowing three runs on four hits and no walks with five strikeouts. Reymin Guduan (1-2) pitched a perfect eighth with two strikeouts for his first win of the season, and Jordan Jankowski picked up his first save with a four-batter ninth.
The Grizzlies start a four-game series against the Salt Lake Bees Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. at Chukchansi Park. Probable starters are LHP Manny Banuelos (2-0, 4.70) for Salt Lake and RHP Francis Martes (0-0, 0.00) for Fresno.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 22, 2017
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds At Oklahoma City Dodgers - Memphis Redbirds
- Hernandez Crushes Game-Winning Grand Slam to Beat 51s 8-5 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Salt Lake Completes Sactown Sweep - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Offense Erupts in 11-8 Victory over Chihuahuas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers Win Friday to Split Series - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Friday Night's OKC Dodgers Game Suspended in Eighth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Silence Isotopes Bats with 6-1 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Keyvius Sampson Leads Aces to Victory in Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Sky Sox Split Series-Ending Doubleheader - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds Split Twin-Bill at Colorado Springs - Memphis Redbirds
- Soler's Homer Sinks Express as Storm Chasers Win 6-2 - Round Rock Express
- Lights Go out on Sounds and Dodgers, Game Suspended - Nashville Sounds
- Clutch Hitting Lifts Iowa over New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Edge Baby Cakes, 4-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies "Wild About Reading" Program Reaches 1 Millionth Student
- Jake Owen to Play Chukchansi Park on September 15
- Fresno Grizzlies New Ownership Introduced
- Fresno Grizzlies Set 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Grizzlies to Play as Zamunda Lions on "Coming to Fresno" Night, June 21