Hens Shut out in Sixth Straight Loss
A struggling Toledo team dropped their sixth straight as they fall two games behind in their three-game set with Pawtucket, 6-0. Starter Daniel Norris, on rehab assignment from Detroit, struggled, giving up five runs - four earned - over just three innings. The shutout marks the third time in four games Toledo's offense has not produced a run.
The PawSox got right to work Tuesday evening, putting up a three-spot in their first at-bat. Norris began his first outing with the Hens since last season by walking Aneury Tavarez to begin the first inning. Though Heiker Meneses singled, Norris struck out the following two batters and appeared poised to escape with any damage. That hope was shot down when Matt Dominguez doubled down the left-field line to score both Tavarez and Meneses. During the play, a throwing error by Hens shortsop Brendan Ryan allowed Dominguez to come all the way around and score.
Toledo remained quiet, tallying just one hit each in the second and third, and Pawtucket piled more on in the third. Again, the runs came with two down. A walk of Ryan Court was paid for three pitches later when Bryce Brentz blasted a 1-1 pitch over the wall in right to increase the home team's lead to 5-0.
A leadoff triple and double in the eighth made it 6-0. With Edward Mujica in the game, Meneses ripped a three-bagger that set the PawSox up to add even more insurance. One out later, Brentz doubled in Meneses to pick up his third run batted in of the game.
The Hens and Red Sox will give it a go early on Wednesday, with first pitch slated for 11:05 a.m. Toledo will look to avoid being swept for the second consecutive series.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 20, 2017
- Pigs Sweep G-Braves with Win in Finale - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Drop Finale to 'Wings 7-6 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Park Hit Wins It for Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Casali Carries Bulls to Win - Durham Bulls
- Late Rally Leads Bats Past Chiefs - Syracuse Chiefs
- Beato Sets Franchise Record in Pigs Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gwinnett falls in extras to Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Solo Shots Send Tribe to Victory in Durham - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Shut out in Sixth Straight Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Early Runs Hold up in Bulls' 5-1 Win - Durham Bulls
- PawSox Extend Streak to Eight Wins with Another Shutout - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Pair of Louisville Homers Give Bats 5-1 Victory - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs Drop Middle Game to Bats - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bisons Rout Columbus for Second Straight Win - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.