Hayes Leads Dream to 77-66 Win over Seattle
SEATTLE - Tiffany Hayes finished with 21 points to lead the Atlanta Dream to a 77-66 win over the Seattle Storm Friday night at Alaska Airlines Arena.
Hayes led four Dream players in double-figures as Atlanta (3-9) snapped a four-game losing streak. Elizabeth Williams scored 10 points and grabbed nine rebounds, while Brittney Sykes added 11 points, and season-highs with eight rebounds and five assists. Jessica Breland scored 10 points and seven boards for Atlanta.
After falling behind 11-0 to start the game, Atlanta went on a 26-4 run over 13:30 minutes between the first and second quarters to take an 11-point lead with 3:25 to go in the half. The Dream, led by Monique Billings' eight first-half points, entered the locker room up 32-24.
The Dream never let up in the third quarter, outscoring the Storm (8-8) 24-14 in the frame and opening an 18-point lead going in to the final quarter. Atlanta won its first game of the season while outrebounding its opponent, which it did tonight over Seattle behind a 37-35 edge.
Atlanta closes out its three-game road trip at the Phoenix Mercury Sunday at Talking Stick Resort Arena. The game, which tips at 6 p.m. ET, will be streamed around the Southeast on WSB-TV Now.
Atlanta Dream Notes
- Atlanta started Renee Montgomery, Tiffany Hayes, Brittney Sykes, Jessica Breland and Elizabeth Williams.
- Nia Coffey sat out the contest due to flu-like symptoms.
- Marie Gulich knocked down her first career three-point basket in the second quarter.
- Renee Montgomery has now hit at least one three-pointer in 17 straight regular season games.
- Tiffany Hayes registered her seventh double-digit scoring effort of the season with 21 points. It is her second 20-point scoring effort of 2019.
- Brittney Sykes recorded a season-high eight rebounds.
- Sykes finished with a season-high five assists.
- With her 11 points, Sykes finished in double-figures for the seventh time this season.
- Elizabeth Williams scored in double-figures for the fifth time this season behind 10 points.
- Jessica Breland notched her fourth double-digit scoring effort of the season with 10 points.
- Atlanta finished with a season-high 20 assists.
- The Dream are now 14-13 all-time against the Seattle Storm.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from July 5, 2019
- Hayes Leads Dream to 77-66 Win over Seattle - Atlanta Dream
- Mystics Game Update - Washington Mystics
- Defensive Pressure and 16 Points from Tiffany Mitchell Lead to 76-56 Win at Dallas - Indiana Fever
- Las Vegas Aces Take Aim at Front-Running Washington, Friday, with 7:30 PM Tip at MBEC - Las Vegas Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.