Hartford Blanks Miami 1-0 for Second Win of the Season
On the road for two consecutive matches to start the year, Hartford Athletic has come away victorious twice, defeating Miami FC tonight 1-0 in a physical battle in the Magic City.
The two sides played a very intense but even first half. Hartford won the possession battle 54%-46%, but Miami held the edge in shots (5-4) and shots on target (3-1). Hartford had a great chance early when Conor McGlynn stepped up to take a free kick. The midfielder, who has made plenty of magic happen with his right foot in preseason friendlies this year, snuck a powerful right-footed strike through the wall but right at the gloves of Miami goalkeeper Connor Sparrow who punched the ball away. Miami nearly put themselves ahead moments later when Christian François found his way into the box, one-on-one with Tulu, but his shot went right into Jeff Caldwell's gloves.
At the start of the second half, Preston Tabort Etaka was brought on as a substitute for Bradford Jamieson IV. He wasted no time making an impact. In the 59th minute, Conor McGlynn played a ball deep up the right side that Danny Barrera was able to chase down just before the ball went out of bounds. Barrera played a sneaky back heel pass to Tabort Etaka who cut inside and smashed the ball far post, into the upper corner for the only goal of the night!
"I felt like Preston dominated that one-v-one throughout the game," said Hartford Athletic Head Coach Harry Watling. "He was fantastic. He's given me 90 minutes in 45 minutes. He's done a phenomenal job, he's covered so much ground, he's won his duels, if we can help him with his end product, he's gonna be a real handful."
The doors to Dillon Stadium reopen next Saturday, May 15th at 7 PM, as the Boys in Green host Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC in the 2021 USL Championship Home Opener. Last season, Hartford and Pittsburgh battled at the top of the Group F table, with a 1-0 Hartford win at Highmark Stadium making the difference in the standings. Limited tickets remain, head over to hartfordathletic.com/tickets to buy yours now.
Shots (On-Target): Hartford Athletic 10 (4) - 12 (3) Miami
Corners: Hartford Athletic 4-3 Miami
Fouls: Hartford Athletic 23-10 Miami
Offsides: Hartford Athletic 1-0 Miami
Possession: Hartford Athletic 50.8%-49.2% Miami
Passing Accuracy: Hartford Athletic 84%-84.6% Miami
Saves: Hartford Athletic 3-3 Miami
59' - Preston Tabort Etaka (Danny Barrera) 1-0
28' - Devon 'Speedy' Williams (Yellow)
32' - Lamar Walker (Yellow)
45+1' - Nii Armah Ashitey (Yellow)
65' - Paco Craig (Yellow)
71' - Boluwatife Akinyode (Yellow)
82' - Preston Tabort Etaka (Yellow)
HARTFORD ATHLETIC STARTING LINEUP:
13 (GK) Jeff Caldwell; 5 (DF) Nii Armah Ashitey, 15 (DF) Tulu, 20 (DF) Thomas Janjigian, 16 (DF) Gabriel Torres; 10 (MF) Danny Barrera, 28 (MF) Conor McGlynn (Luka Prpa, 70'), 6 (MF) Arthur Rogers (Nicolás Cardona, 81'); 18 (FW) Walmer Martinez (Richie Schlentz, 70'), 29 (FW) Juan Carlos Obregón Jr. (Sebastian Elney, 60'), 7 (FW) Bradford Jamieson IV (Preston Tabort Etaka, 45')
MIAMI FC STARTING LINEUP:
24 (GK) Connor Sparrow; 5 (DF) Paco Craig, 17 (DF) Sean McFarlane (Junior Palacios, 85'), 76 (DF) Ramón Del Campo; 80 (MF) Devon 'Speedy' Williams, 25 (MF) Lance Rozeboom, 30 (MF) Boluwatife Akinyode, 98 (MF) Pierre Da Silva (Richard Ballard, 63'); 13 (FW) Lamar Walker (Billy Forbes, 45'), 9 (FW) Christian François (Adonijah Reid, 63'), 10 (FW) Ariel Martinez
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 8, 2021
- San Antonio FC Extends Unbeaten Home Streak to 15 Regular Season Matches with 2-2 Draw - San Antonio FC
- Rowdies Knock off Pittsburgh 3-0 - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Legion FC Earns Draw on the Road at Louisville City FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Raucous Crowd Sees LouCity Draw Birmingham Legion FC - Louisville City FC
- Real Monarchs Earn 2-2 Draw in Season Opener at San Antonio FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Pair of Second Half Concessions Puts Damper on Return to Carroll Stadium - Indy Eleven
- Rivas' Brace Powers FC Tulsa past Indy - FC Tulsa
- Hounds Drop Opener at Tampa Bay, 3-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Hartford Blanks Miami 1-0 for Second Win of the Season - Hartford Athletic
- Tacoma Defiance Opens 2021 USL Championship Campaign on Sunday at LA Galaxy II - Tacoma Defiance
- Season Openers a Mixed Bag Through Hounds History - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Goalkeeper Connor Sparrow Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Miami FC
- Oakland Roots SC at Phoenix Rising FC Match Notes - Oakland Roots
- Manchester City Academy Product, USL Eastern Conference Champion Joins Memphis 901 FC - Memphis 901 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Athletic Stories
- Hartford Athletic Sign US Youth National Team Player Kenan Hot to Academy Contract
- Sebastian Elney's Serendipity Hits the Open Market
- Athletic Travel to Pittsburgh for First of Three Matches in Eight Days
- Connecticut's Pro Pathway Already Making an Impact
- Danny Barrera and Alex Lara Named to USL Championship Team of the Week