Hampson and French Deliver, But Squirrels Spoil the Party
HARTFORD- Garrett Hampson was a home run shy of the cycle, and Parker French turned in a quality start, but it wasn't enough for the Yard Goats, as the Richmond Flying Squirrels spoiled the party Monday night with a 5-2 victory, before 3,707 at Dunkin' Donuts Park. Hartford has started the 2018 campaign with five straight losses.
Hampson's lead-off triple in the last of the first and an RBI ground out by Omar Carrizales gave the Yard Goats their first lead of the season. But Richmond came back in the top of the second on an RBI-double by Jonah Arenado - the younger brother of Colorado Rockies' star Nolan Arenado - and run-scoring single by Ali Castillo to take a 2-1 lead. An unearned run by Richmond made it 3-1, before a Ryan Metzler sacrifice fly cut the lead to one run. Richmond added two more runs in the seventh inning.
French, a right hander in his second season with the Yard Goats, allowed only three runs - two earned - in six innings, as he struck out five and walked one. Garrett Williams, a left hander, retired 12 straight, after yielding the lead-off triple to Hampson and pitched five innings to record his first win in his Double-A debut.
Hampson paced Hartford's seven-hit attack with a single, double and triple. Castillo had a single, triple and two RBI for Richmond.
The Yard Goats and Flying Squirrels play game two of the three-game series at Dunkin' Donuts Park Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. LHP Jack Wynkoop will pitch for Hartford against RHP Cory Taylor. The game can be heard on News Radio 1410 AM and on the iHeart Radio app. The game will be televised by Vantage SportsNet and video stream of the game can be viewed on MiLB.tv
Richmond 5-9-0 Hartford 2-7-2
WP- Garrett Williams (1-0) LP- Parker French (0-1) S- Caleb Simpson (1)
T- 2:47 A- 3,707
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 9, 2018
- Vlad Jr. Slugs Second Homer, Plates Six in 'Cats Rout - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Thunder Fall to Fisher Cats in Series Opener - Trenton Thunder
- RubberDucks Halt Ponies 6-3 - Akron RubberDucks
- Reading Holds on for 6-5 Win over Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Williams Wonderful in Double-A Debut - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Hampson and French Deliver, But Squirrels Spoil the Party - Hartford Yard Goats
- Baysox Walk-Off in 11th in 4-3 Win over Erie - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Fall in 11 to Baysox - Erie SeaWolves
- RubberDucks Sink Sizzling Ponies, 6-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Pomeranz to Continue MLB Rehab Friday with Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Crawford Moves North, Diaz Joins Thunder Outfield - Trenton Thunder
- Flying Squirrels Series Preview: April 9-11 at Hartford - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 9th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (3-0) vs. RubberDucks (1-3) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Senators and Altoona Curve Postponed Monday - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve and Senators Postponed on Monday - Altoona Curve
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Altoona - Game #5 - Harrisburg Senators
- Moss, Tosca to Return to Hadlock for 25th Season Celebration - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Yard Goats Announce Hot Stove Dinner Guests
- Yard Goats to Hold Dance Team Auditions Tomorrow at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Manager Returns to Hartford for 2019 Season
- Yard Goats Front Office Employee Recognized with Presidential Citation from MiLB
- Yard Goats Sports Turf Manager Named Winner of 'Mowing Patterns Contest'