Hammerheads Out-Duel the Marauders Wednesday
The Jupiter Hammerheads extend their winning streak to three after beating the Bradenton Marauders 4-1 at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium on Wednesday night.
While the offense dominated the first game of the series, on Wednesday it was the Jupiter pitching staff that shined bright. The Hammerheads used a strong performance from starter Edgar Sanchez to get things going. The righty pitched six innings of one-hit baseball for the Hammerheads. The Dominican native struck out ten batters, allowed one run, and walked three en route to his team-leading fourth win of the season.
Out of the bullpen, the Hammerheads first leaned on Laurbert Arias. The six-foot-one righty pitched two innings of relief and allowed just one baserunner to reach. To close the game, Jupiter turned to Caleb Wurster, who earned his third save of the season. The University of Connecticut alum pitched a hitless ninth inning with one strikeout.
The Jupiter pitching staff limited Bradenton to just two hits on the night. Both teams struck out 11 times in the contest.
Offensively, it took Jupiter until the sixth inning to get on the scoreboard. Trailing 1-0, Brady Allen crossed home to tie the game. A couple of batters later, Cristhian Rodriguez drove in Osiris Johnson to give Jupiter a 2-1 lead.
Jupiter would add two more runs, one in the seventh and one in the eighth. In the seventh, Johnson earned his second RBI on the night with a single to score Kahlil Watson. In the eighth, it was Watson driving in Rodriguez with an RBI single.
For the second straight game, every Hammerheads player reached base safely at least once. Newcomer, and Marlins No. 12 overall prospect, Ian Lewis had another strong game. The switch-hitting infielder finished 2-3. Rodriguez went 2-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 11, 2022
- Clearwater Clips Daytona, 8-4, on Wednesday - Daytona Tortugas
- Big Second Inning Pushes Threshers Past Tortugas, 8-4 - Clearwater Threshers
- Hammerheads Out-Duel the Marauders Wednesday - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Mussels' Pitching Continues to Dominate Cardinals in 3-0 Win - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Bradenton Bats Deflated in 4-1 Loss - Bradenton Marauders
- Mets Strong on Mound, Take Advantage of Miscues in 3-1 Win - St. Lucie Mets
- Jupiter Wins Series Opener over Bradenton - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Blue Jays Win After Wild Comeback, Take Series Opener - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.