Hammerheads Clinch Series with Sunday Win
On Sunday afternoon, the Jupiter Hammerheads beat the Dunedin Blue Jays 4-0 to finish the six-game series. The Hammerheads won the series after taking four of the six games.
Pitching was the biggest storyline for Jupiter on Sunday. The Hammerheads carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning before Adriel Sotolongo hit a single. Starter Sandro Bargallo pitched four innings of hitless baseball before leaving with an injury. The lefty struck out seven batters and allowed just one walk for the game. The Cuban-born pitcher now holds a 2.83 ERA and a 1.48 WHIP on the season.
Tyler Eckberg replaced Bargallo following the injury and continued to stifle the Blue Jays. The righty pitched three shutout innings with three strikeouts and was credited with his third win of the season. The former Kansas State Wildcat has a 2.63 ERA across 27.1 innings with Jupiter this season.
Yeuris Jimenez pitched the final two innings for the Hammerheads on Sunday. Jimenez didn't allow a hit Sunday and hasn't allowed a run since May 26th. The righty has a 0.92 ERA and a 1.02 WHIP across 29.1 innings in 2022.
The Hammerheads pitching staff racked up 12 strikeouts and gave up just two walks on Sunday.
At the plate, it remained a 0-0 ball game until Jupiter scored a pair of runs in the sixth inning. Cristhian Rodriguez drove in Kahlil Watson to get the Hammerheads on the scoreboard. On the next batter, Jupiter would score again when Javeon Cody connected for an RBI single to score Jose Salas.
Up 2-0, the Hammerheads would add two more runs in the seventh. Watson drove in Jorge Caballero with a sacrifice fly. Then Salas hit an RBI single to score Osiris Johnson.
Johnson continues to produce from the lead-off spot. The Marlins No. 22 overall prospect finished 2-4 and is now batting .448 since becoming the lead-off hitter on June 12th. Watson also finished with multiple hits and went 2-2 with an RBI on the afternoon.
Jupiter will travel North and begin another six-game series against the Daytona Tortugas on Tuesday night. First pitch for Game One is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 19, 2022
- Jones' Jolt Helps 'Tugas Tame Tigers, 5-3 - Daytona Tortugas
- Marauders and Mussels Washed out on Father's Day - Bradenton Marauders
- Hammerheads Clinch Series with Sunday Win - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Tarpons Take Advantage of Walks, Shut out Mets 4-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Threshers Salvage Split, Knock off Cardinals 6-2 in Series Finale - Clearwater Threshers
- Sunday's Series Finale Between Mussels and Marauders Cancelled - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Callihan Carries Tortugas to 11-7 Win over Flying Tigers - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.