Grizzlies Win in 10 at Kalamazoo
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Gateway Grizzlies scored a run in the top of the ninth inning, then two in the top of the 10th Wednesday night to take the second game of a three-game series 9-7 over the Kalamazoo Kings at Homer Stryker Field.
The Grizzlies (20-19) will go for the sweep of the series Thursday night in Kalamazoo.
Kalamazoo (7-31) forged a comeback of their own to get on top. Trailing 6-3 in the bottom of the eighth, the Kings loaded the bases for centerfielder Eric Suttle who drilled a 3-1 pitch over the left field wall to put Kalamazoo on top 7-6. It was Suttle's first home run of the year.
Charlie Lisk led off the ninth inning for the Grizzlies and pushed a hit through the right side of the infield, hustling to second for a lead-off double. Lisk went to third on a wild pitch then scored on a one-out single by Jason Patton to even the score at seven.
Landon Hernandez led off the 10th inning for the Grizzlies, singling through to left. He was sacrificed to second by Bobby Burk. Bryan Marquez then pinch-ran for Hernandez. Marquez went to third on an a fielder's choice by Brandon Peters. Marquez then scored on a passed ball, to make it 8-7 Grizzlies. The passed ball sent Peters to second. Lisk then hit a shallow fly to right to score Peters from second for the final.
The Grizzlies came back from earlier deficit. The Kings scored three times in the second inning to go up 3-0.
Lisk finished the night 4 for 5 with a homer and two RBIs. The homer was his league-leading 10th of the year. Tyler Heil was 3 for 4 with a homer, his first as a professional, and two RBIs. Patton was 2 for 5. Peters was 2 for 6. He also homered, hitting a two-run shot in the fifth inning to tie the score at three.
First pitch Thursday is set for 6:05 pm central.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 30, 2010
- Crushers Fall in Second Straight Extra-Inning Battle - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Drop Middle Game to Miners - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts Win 5-2 over Rascals - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Washington Hangs On for 3-2 Win - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Win in 10 at Kalamazoo - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things Defeat Otters 3-2, Win Second Straight - Washington Wild Things
- Cruisers Top CornBelters, 3-2 - Normal CornBelters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gateway Grizzlies Stories
- Local Right Hander Starting against Scherzer and the Nationals at 12:05
- Grizzlies Offense Stymied in Series Finale Loss
- Molesky Dominates as Grizzlies Drop the Miners
- Grizzlies Lose Heartbreaker After Late River City Rally
- Livesay, West Lead Gateway to Wild Win