Grizzles Sink to Aces 8-1 in Series Opener
The Fresno Grizzlies (9-12) lost the first of a five-game series 8-1 at the Reno Aces (12-9) Thursday night. The Grizzlies have yet to defeat an opponent in six series openers this season.
Reymond Fuentes (2-for-4) and Kristopher Negron knocked RBI doubles in the second to give the Aces an early 2-0 lead over the Grizzlies. They'd extend their lead 3-0 in the fifth with a RBI single from Ildemaro Vargas (2-for-4).
After being no-hit through four and a third by Keyvius Sampson (2-1), Derek Fisher (2-for-5) and Preston Tucker (2-for-4) recorded singles for the Grizzlies to break it up. The two hits were the only allowed by Sampson in five innings with no runs on six walks with seven strikeouts, earning him the win.
With reliever Kaleb Fleck pitching for Reno in the sixth, the Grizzlies put a tally on the board to make the score 3-1. Reid Brignac doubled to get on and scored on a fielding error that allowed Jack Mayfield to reach first. Starting the season with Corpus Christi, Mayfield made his 2017 Grizzlies debut Thursday night after playing 45 games for Fresno in 2016.
Brian Holmes (0-1) went five innings in the start for Fresno, allowing three runs on three hits and four walks with two strikeouts for the loss. Reliever Aaron West came in to pitch and allowed a RBI single to Jack Reinheimer (2-for-3) that scored Christain Walker in the sixth and a Walker sacrifice fly in the seventh that scored Vargas to give the Aces a 5-1 lead.
Reno tacked on three runs in the eighth to make the Grizzlies deficit 8-1. The runs were the first allowed by Fresno reliever Kevin Comer who had not allowed a run in his first four 2017 appearances (9.0 IP).
The Grizzlies and the Aces meet Friday at 6:35 p.m. for the second of a five-game series at Greater Nevada Field. Probable starters are RHP David Martinez (0-2, 6.89) for Fresno and RHP Braden Shipley (2-1, 5.32) for Reno.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 28, 2017
- Offense Collects 16 Hits in Bees Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Bats Remain Hot as Isotopes Defeat 51s 11-7 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzles Sink to Aces 8-1 in Series Opener - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Open Nine-Game Homestand with Victory over Fresno - Reno Aces
- Bergman, Rainiers Shut Out River Cats - Tacoma Rainiers
- Dodgers Weather Storm Chasers in 12 Innings - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies "Wild About Reading" Program Reaches 1 Millionth Student
- Jake Owen to Play Chukchansi Park on September 15
- Fresno Grizzlies New Ownership Introduced
- Fresno Grizzlies Set 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Grizzlies to Play as Zamunda Lions on "Coming to Fresno" Night, June 21