Grizzles Shutout 51s 1-0 in Walk-Off Fashion
The Grizzlies (6-8) earned their first shutout of the season as they beat the Las Vegas 51s (8-6) 1-0 in a pitchers dual Wednesday night at Chukchansi Park. The win broke Fresno's five-game losing streak.
Brady Rodgers tossed a solid four and a third in his third start of the season for Fresno. He allowed only three hits and no walks with four strikeouts. 51s starter Tyler Pill went six innings allowing four hits and no walks with four strikeouts. Pill is the younger brother of former Grizz first baseman Brett Pill, who played four seasons with Fresno in 2010-2013.
Preston Tucker extended his hit streak to 10 games with a single in the fourth. His streak matches that of Tyler White (4/6-4/16), a Grizzlies best on the early season. Tucker is 15-for-36 (.417) with two homers, three doubles, nine RBI, five runs and a walk during the streak.
Fresno reliever Kevin Comer got himself out of a no-out bases loaded jam in the seventh. The Grizzlies got the force at the plate and in an attempt to get the double play, Phillip Evans (2-for-3) was called out at first on runner interference. A pop-up to Tony Kemp ended the inning to keep the game scoreless.
The Grizzlies took away the victory in walk-off fashion with two outs in the ninth. Jon Kemmer found himself on third after a throwing error by reliever David Roseboom (0-1) on a pick-off attempt at first. Colin Moran blasted a hit to the right field wall to score Kemmer for the 1-0 win. Dayan Diaz (1-0) picked up the win for Fresno with a perfect ninth inning with two strikeouts.
The Grizzlies face the 51s again Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. for the third game of the four-game series. Probable starters are RHP Wilfredo Boscan for Las Vegas and RHP Edison Frias (0-1, 1.50) for Fresno.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 20, 2017
- 90s Night at AutoZone Park Is - Memphis Redbirds
- Bees Rally for Fifth Straight - Salt Lake Bees
- Grizzles Shutout 51s 1-0 in Walk-Off Fashion - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Drop Dodgers, 9-8 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Diablos Rally Late to Win Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Rainiers Fall to Chihuahuas, 9-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Win Wild Slugfest in Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Aces Pitching Hands Isotopes Sixth Straight Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Godley No-Hits the Isotopes Through Six, Aces Win Fourth Straight - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Sneed's gem wasted as Vegas ends Grizzlies win streak with a 2-1 victory
- Grizzlies hit jackpot early, beat 51s 11-4
- Fresno Grizzlies Partner with Poverello House for Food Donation
- Grizzlies sweep Aces 7-6 behind Hauschild's gem
- Late inning heroics gives Grizzlies fifth straight win