Greg Bird Named SAL Player of the Week
CHARLESTON, SC - Charleston RiverDogs first baseman Greg Bird received the South Atlantic League Player of the Week Award for games played July 15 - July 21 on Monday afternoon. For the week, Bird hit .391/.533/.783 in six games played going 9-23 with three HR, three doubles, 11 RBI, eight runs scored, and seven walks.
The week actually started out for Bird with a 0-4 game with a walk on July 15 against the Augusta GreenJackets in Charleston. He followed that up with a 1-3, RBI, two walk performance two days later on the road against the Greensboro Grasshoppers, and then went 1-4 with an RBI and a run scored in the second game against the Grasshoppers. The series finale in Greensboro is where the powerful lefty exploded for the best game of his young career. Bird had a night to remember going 4-5 with three homers and drove in all seven of Charleston's runs in the RiverDogs win. Over the weekend in Hickory against the Crawdads the 20-year old went 3-7 with two RBI, three walks, and four runs scored in two games. Bird reached base safely in all six games during the week.
The 20-year-old first baseman was selected by the New York Yankees in the fifth round of the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft out of Grandview High School in Aurora, Col. A 6'3", 215 lb. left-handed hitter, Bird is the second Charleston player to receive the SAL Player of the Week award this season. Peter O'Brien received the award back in mid-May.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 22, 2013
- Sand Gnats Edge Shorebirds 4-2 in 13 Innings - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Win 7-3 for Eighth Straight - Lexington Legends
- 'Dads Ace Edwards Dealt to Cubs - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Drop Third Straight to Legends, 7-3 - Greenville Drive
- Braves Batter BlueClaws 10-2 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Out Homered in 8-4 Loss - Hickory Crawdads
- RiverDogs Blast Their Way Past Hickory 8-4 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Six Run Fifth Pushes Braves to Victory - Rome Braves
- Power and Kannapolis Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Power schedule revised for earlier rainouts - West Virginia Power
- Power vs. Intimidators - Game Notes - July 22, 2013 - West Virginia Power
- Intimidators vs. Power - Game Notes - July 22, 2013 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Greg Bird Named SAL Player of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- RiverDogs Single-Game Tickets on Sale Monday
- RiverDogs, Blackbaud Partner for Staff Volunteer Days in the Lowcountry
- Check the Tape: RiverDogs Go Way Back to Announce 2018 Promo Schedule
- RiverDogs Introduce Rover Subscription
- Pope, Seabol Among RiverDogs Field Staff Appointments