Greensboro Swarm, Volunteer Center of Greensboro Team up for 2020 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
(GREENSBORO, N.C.) - The Greensboro Swarm, the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets, announced today that the team will join forces with The Volunteer Center of Greensboro for the 2020 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service on Sunday, January 19, at the Fieldhouse at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The event, sponsored by Procter & Gamble via Greater Cincinnati Foundation, is scheduled from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.
The MLK Day of Service is open to the public and features on-site service projects, canned food drive, nonprofit fair, mentoring fair, community art project, digital scavenger hunt, student performances, photo booth and more. The annual event brings together thousands of volunteers to serve others, tackle local problems and advance Dr. King's dream of opportunity for all.
Joining the festivities will be Greensboro Swarm players, coaches and staff as well as members from the Charlotte Hornets' Honey Bees and Swarm Squad.
Members of the community wishing to participate and volunteer at the MLK Day of Service can do so, here. For more on the event, click here.
The principles of equality, diversity and inclusion have long defined the NBA and NBA G League. Through NBA Voices (the league's initiative to address social injustice, promote inclusion, uplift voices and bridge divides in community), the NBA and NBA G League will continue to use their platforms to encourage real dialogue and bring people of all backgrounds together for meaningful change.
Programing around MLK Day and NBA Voices comes via the league's global social responsibility program, NBA Cares.
All MLK Day of Service opportunities come via support from Procter & Gamble, The Volunteer Center, Swarm, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. Beta Omega Chapter, Carolina Biological Supply, City of Greensboro, Deluxe Corporation, Joy Squad, Lincoln Financial Group, M&F Bank, Morgenstern & Associates, North Carolina A&T State University, Social Desihns and United Way of Greater Greensboro.
The Day of Service is one of several events hosted by The Volunteer Center over the weekend. There is also a clean-up of Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive and the fifth annual MLK Day Career Fair.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 12, 2020
- Austin Spurs Defeat South Bay Lakers 123-106 for Their Sixth-Straight Win - Austin Spurs
- South Bay Falls on Second Night of Back-To-Back - South Bay Lakers
- Greensboro Swarm, Volunteer Center of Greensboro Team up for 2020 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service - Greensboro Swarm
- Stockton Kings Shooting Beats Iowa Wolves 163-143 - Stockton Kings
- Martin Goes off But Kings Offense Rolls over Wolves in Road Loss - Iowa Wolves
- Warriors Win the Battle in Texas - Texas Legends
- Stars Fall to Clippers - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Greensboro Swarm, Allegacy Federal Credit Union to Recognize Junior Achievement on Theme Jersey
- Bacon Serves Record-Breaking 50 Burger as Greensboro Topples Fort Wayne
- Hornets Assign Dwayne Bacon to Greensboro Swarm
- Greensboro Swarm's Community Heroes Night to be Presented by Truliant Federal Credit Union
- Hornets Recall Caleb Martin & Jalen McDaniels from the Greensboro Swarm