GreenJackets Offense Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Columbia
rth Augusta, SC: On Wednesday night, the Augusta GreenJackets (19-19) offense was silent. While the Columbia Fireflies (14-25) left 13 men-on-base, they got great performances on the mound and still prevailed for a 3-1 victory.
Columbia scored the game's 1st run in the 1st inning. GreenJackets starter Blake Rivera allowed an RBI single for Shervyen Newton and the Fireflies led it 1-0. Columbia came back and scored another run in the 2nd inning. A groundball to shortstop Orlando Garcia resulted in an error, and Wagner Lagrange trotted home from 3rd base to give the Fireflies a 2-0 lead.
Rivera ends his night after four innings and he allowed two runs, while only one was earned.
Colin Holderman continued to stymie the GreenJacket bats all night long. After he went the first four innings without allowing a hit, Diegot Rincones led it off with a double. Holderman responded to get two outs, but Nico Giarratano rolled a groundball to 1st baseman Chase Chambers. It hit off the lip of the infield grass and took a funky hop into right field. Rincones scored from 2nd and the GreenJackets trailed at just 2-1.
After Preston White went the first two innings of his appearance without allowing a hit, in the 7th inning, Columbia's Hansel Moreno hit a solo home run, and the Fireflies took a 3-1 lead. Moreno was just added to the Columbia roster earlier in the day from Class-A Advanced St. Lucie, and had not hit a home run this season.
White ends up going 2.2 innings while allowing one run and striking-out five. JJ Santa Cruz came out of the GreenJackets bullpen and did now allow a run in 2.1 innings of work. Jesus Tona went a scoreless 9th for the Jackets, but the offense did not score again and fell in the 2nd game of the series.
Player of the Game: Nico Giarratano, 2-3, RBI
Although it was a funky way to score a run, Giarratano's RBI single that took a poor hop for Columbia 1st baseman Chase Chambers ended the shutout for Columbia. Giarratano ends up with two of Augusta's three hits for the game.
Tomorrow's Game: 7:05 PM vs Columbia , SRP Park, rth Augusta, South Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (COL) RHP Thomas Szapucki (0-0, 1.23 ERA) vs (AUG) RHP Jake Wong (2-1, 2.34 ERA)
The GreenJackets send out the #7 Prospect in the San Francisco Giants organization according to MLB.com. Wong, who was named the SAL Pitcher of the week from April 29th-May 5th, has been electric this year. In his last three starts, he has gone at least six innings in each outing. Going into his last start, he had not allowed a hit in 12 innings of work. Wong was a 3rd round pick out of Grand Canyon University. While there, he originally was coming out of the bullpen, but later in his career, took over a starting role and was dominant.
Columbia will send out Thomas Szapucki to make the start in the series finale. Szapuck was a 5th round pick by the Mets in 2015 and sat out all of last year with Tommy John surgery. He is ranked as the #8 Prospect in the New York Mets organization according to MLB.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 15, 2019
- RiverDogs Survive Late Power Rally, Walk off for Second Straight Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Late-Inning Rally Falls Short in Extras - West Virginia Power
- Drive Clip Crawdads, 6-5, on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Offense Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- Holderman Dazzles Again in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 15 at Augusta (Game 39) - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Split Pair with 'Hoppers - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Olague Leads Braves to another Win over Tourists - Rome Braves
- Claws Rally for 3-2 Wednesday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (May 15) - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Early Lead Again - Hagerstown Suns
- Schmidt Showcases Electric Stuff But Receives No Help - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Vientos, Lagrange Notch Multi-Hit Games, Columbia Drops Opener in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Defeats Asheville 5-1 in Series Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- GreenJackets Awarded the Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- : Jackets Season Ends in Lexington
- Playoff Notes: Game 2, SALSCS at Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., Whitaker Bank Ballpark
- Lexington Takes Game #1 with 2-1 Victory
- Playoff Notes: Game 1, SALSCS vs Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., SRP Park