Governor Northam to Throw First Pitch at Richmond Flying Squirrels' Home Opener
RICHMOND - Governor Ralph Northam will throw out tonight's first pitch at the home opener for the Richmond Flying Squirrels. The Governor will also be joined by MLB All-Star and World Series Champion Fred McGriff, whose baseball career spanned from 1986 to 2004 with teams including the Toronto Blue Jays, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Cubs and L.A. Dodgers.
The Governor's appearance at tonight's Squirrels game will kick off the "Summer of Baseball," a series of visits to each of the Commonwealth's nine minor league team stadiums to tout the importance of baseball in Virginia communities.
In addition to throwing out the first pitch, Governor Northam will present an official proclamation to the players and leadership of the Richmond-based baseball team, proclaiming April 13, 2018 as Flying Squirrels Day in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
"Baseball is known as America's national pastime, and that certainly rings true for the people of Virginia, as well," said Governor Northam. "Our nine minor league baseball teams are important contributors to communities across the Commonwealth, uniting friends and family and bringing Virginians of all ages together to enjoy a night out at the ballpark. Tonight's home opener is the perfect opportunity to celebrate baseball in Virginia. I encourage all Virginians to attend baseball games in their own communities and across the Commonwealth, and discover for yourselves why Virginia is for Baseball Lovers."
"The Richmond Flying Squirrels' home opener has become a centerpiece event in our capital city, and the entire organization is excited to have Governor Northam in attendance to deliver the first pitch of the 2018 season," said Flying Squirrels Vice President & COO Todd "Parney" Parnell.
Virginia boasts nine Minor League Baseball teams, with seasons traditionally running from April through September. For more information on baseball in Virginia, visit www.virginia.org/baseball.
Governor Northam's "Summer of Baseball"
April 13th - Richmond Flying Squirrels
April 27th - Salem Red Sox
May 19th - Norfolk Tides
May 26th - Potomac Nationals
June 23rd - Lynchburg Hillcats
June 30th - Danville Braves
July 21st - Bristol Pirates
August 4th - Bluefield Blue Jays
August 18th - Pulaski Yankees
About Virginia Tourism
Tourism is an instant revenue generator in the Commonwealth. In 2016, visitors to Virginia spent $24 billion, which supported 230,000 jobs and contributed $1.7 billion in state and local taxes. Plan your next vacation in Virginia. Visit www.virginia.org to find out more.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 13, 2018
- River City Blues - Reading Fightin Phils
- Johnson Dazzles Record Crowd in Home Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Largest Crowd in Senators Home Opening History Watches 5-1 Victory - Harrisburg Senators
- Bichette's First Triple, Pentecost's First HR Not Enough in Fisher Cats Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Yard Goats Beat Former Major League Pitcher for Second Straight Victory - Hartford Yard Goats
- RubberDucks Fall to Trenton as Pitchers Dominate - Akron RubberDucks
- Clutch Play from Alvarez and Strong Pitching Lead 2-1 Win over Akron - Trenton Thunder
- Altoona Spoils UPMC Park Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Winning Streak Snapped with 5-1 Loss - Bowie Baysox
- Four-Run Fourth Helps Curve Spoil SeaWolves' Home Opener - Altoona Curve
- Great Way to Start: 'Dogs Win Home Opener 4-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Alonso's Blast Not Enough for Ponies in Portland, 4-2 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Acevedo Placed on 7-Day Disabled List - Trenton Thunder
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #7 - Rumble Ponies (3-3) at Sea Dogs (1-5) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 13th vs. Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox to Host Educator Appreciation Night on April 20 - Bowie Baysox
- Governor Northam to Throw First Pitch at Richmond Flying Squirrels' Home Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Announce Transactions - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Richmond Flying Squirrels Stories
- Virginia Native Trey Wilson Named Voice of the Flying Squirrels
- Burnham Named Voice of UMass Minutemen Basketball
- Flying Squirrels Unveil Eastern League All-Star Week Presented by Genworth
- First Squirrel: Flying Squirrels Launch Lunar Landing Night on July 20, 2019
- Flying Squirrels Selected for Topps Special Promotion