Gittens Powers Win in Akron
AKRON, Ohio - A late two-run homer by Chris Gittens put the Thunder in front, and a strong bullpen performance preserved the lead in a 4-3 Thunder win over the Akron RubberDucks Monday night at Canal Park.
With the Thunder (2-2) trailing 3-2, Ben Ruta led off the top of the eighth inning with a walk. After stealing second base, Ruta advanced to third on a deep flyout by Wendell Rijo. Gittens then drove a pitch from Akron (0-5) left-hander Ben Krauth (0-1) into the right field bullpens, giving the Thunder a 4-3 lead.
David Sosebee (1-0) tossed a flawless bottom of the eighth after stranding a pair of runners in the seventh, and Daniel Alvarez earned the save with a perfect ninth. The two relievers struck out a combined six batters over the final three innings.
Garrett Whitlock started for the Thunder and saw the RubberDucks plate two runs in the third inning on a fielder's choice grounder and a fielding error. But the Thunder tied the score at 2-2 in the fourth, as Gittens and Rashad Crawford delivered RBI-doubles off Akron starter Tanner Tully.
The RubberDucks, however, took a 3-2 lead in the sixth, as Andrew Calica legged out an infield single and scored on a Wilson Garcia double off Whitlock.
Your Thunder continue their road trip on Tuesday night at 6:35 p.m. against the RubberDucks. RHP Nick Nelson will start for the Thunder, and LHP Sam Hentges will go for Akron. Pregame coverage begins at 6:20 p.m. on 920 AM The Jersey or online at TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 8, 2019
- Gittens' Blast Downs Ducks - Akron RubberDucks
- R-Phils pitchers allow one hit and toss second shutout for fourth win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Gittens Powers Win in Akron - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Erase Early Deficit to Beat Erie for Fifth Straight Win - Altoona Curve
- Yard Goats Left on Field in Loss to Harrisburg - Hartford Yard Goats
- Baysox and Squirrels Opener Washed Out - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels and Baysox Postponed Monday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- F.I.E.L.D. Program Returns to Renovate West End Little League - Trenton Thunder
- Yard Goats Announce Fan Friendly Parking and Commuter Plan - Hartford Yard Goats
- 'Snow' Way: Series Opener Postponed in Portland - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs and Rumble Ponies Postponed on Monday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Thunder Welcome Next Generation of Bat Dog Tradition
- Thunder Extend Partnership with Flagship Radio Station Through 2022 Season
- White Claw Riverview Dugout Seats on Sale Now for 2020 Season
- Yankees Set 2020 Thunder Coaching Staff
- El Trueno de Trenton Return for 2020 Season at ARM & HAMMER Park