Genovese Scores First of Season in Rangers Shootout Loss
Cory Genovese scored his first goal of the season, but the Kitchener Rangers fell 2-1 in a shootout to the Ottawa 67's on Sunday Night at The Aud.
The Rangers opened the scoring at the 13:45 mark of the first period, capitalizing on a delayed Ottawa penalty and sending an extra attacker on to the ice. Sophomore rearguard Cory Genovese sent a point shot soaring over Ottawa netminder Clint Windsor for his first of the season. Curtis Meighan and Darby Llewellyn each collected assists on the gritty defenceman's second career OHL goal.
The Rangers led shots on goal 17-8 in the opening 20 minutes.
Steven Janes pulled the 67's even with a power play goal just before the midway point of the game. The veteran winger sailed the puck high over the glove of Franky Palazzese to record his 12th of the year. Ottawa co-captain Cody Ceci and forward Tyler Graovac were credited with the assists.
Kitchener continued to out-shoot Ottawa in the second by an 11-8 margin.
Neither team scored in the final period of regulation, sending the contest into overtime. The Rangers led shots on goal 8-6 in the third.
Ottawa fired two shots at Palazzese in the extra frame, but neither team scored and the contest went to a shootout. The Rangers finished the game with a 36-24 advantage on the shot clock.
Remy Giftopolous and Dante Salituro each scored for the 67s in the shootout, lifting the team to a 2-1 victory. Radek Faksa was the lone skater to light the lamp for the Rangers.
1. KIT C. Genovese, (1) (C. Meighan, D. Llewellyn), 13:45
2. OTT S. Janes, (12) (C. Ceci, T. Graovac), 9:21 (PP)
94 - Radek Faksa Goal
16 - Brent Peterson No Goal
24 - Ryan Murphy No Goal
91 - Matia Marcantuoni No Goal
19 - Tyler Graovac No Goal
13 - Remy Giftopolous No Goal
83 - Cody Ceci Goal
26 - Dante Salituro Goal
1. OTT - 30 Clint Windsor
2. KIT - 32 Franky Palazzese
3. OTT - 26 Dante Salituro
The Rangers hit the road on Thursday, December 13 for a 7:05pm game against the Windsor Spitfires. The team returns to the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium on Friday, December 14 for a 7:30pm game against the Erie Otters. Tickets to Rangers home games are available by phone at 519-578-1570 or 1-800-265-8977, via the internet at www.centre-square.com or in person at the Centre In the Square Box Office or the Kitchener Auditorium Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 9, 2012
- Genovese Scores First of Season in Rangers Shootout Loss - Kitchener Rangers
- Spitfires Too Hot to Handle - Oshawa Generals
- Spits Edge Generals On Late Murphy Goal To Sweep The Weekend - Windsor Spitfires
- Otters Lose Final Game in Brampton, 5-2 - Erie Otters
- Broll bookends the score as Hounds win in Saginaw - Soo Greyhounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kitchener Rangers Stories
- Tickets to Round 3, Game 6 on Sale Now
- Joey G Notches Four-Point Night as Rangers Even Series vs. Greyhounds
- Super Mario Earns First Career Playoff Shutout as Rangers Down Greyhounds in Game 3
- Kitchener Rangers Announce Signing of Isaac Langdon
- Pair of Empty Net Goals Propel Greyhounds to Game 2 Win