Geekie Sets Points Record for Checkers
KENNEWICK, WA - Americans alumnus Morgan Geekie has broken the Charlotte Checkers playoff point streak record with points in eight straight games. Charlotte's previous record of seven games was set in 2011 by Zach Boychuk.
Geekie, a 20-year-old center, has recorded 10 points (5 goals and 5 assists) so far through the playoffs with points in all eight games.
Last year the Strathclair, MB native totaled 27 points (17 goals and 10 assists) through 14 playoff games for the Americans. Geekie had an impressive rookie campaign in Charlotte finishing the regular season with 46 points (19 goals and 27 assists) through 73 games.
The Checkers, the AHL affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes, recently swept the Hersey Bears in round two of AHL playoffs advancing to the Eastern Conference Final. This ties the farthest the team has ever made it in the Calder Cup Playoffs. They also made it to the Eastern Conference Final in their inaugural AHL season in 2010-11 before losing to eventual champion Binghamton in four games.
Geekie and the Checkers will move on to play the Toronto Marlies in the conference final beginning on Friday, May 17th in Charlotte. - Season tickets for the Americans' 2019-20 season are now on sale. Call the Americans office at 509-736-0606 for further details.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 10, 2019
- Adopt a U.S. Soldier Donations being Accepted - Tri-City Americans
- Geekie Sets Points Record for Checkers - Tri-City Americans
- Cougars, Vista Radio Extend Broadcast Partnership - Prince George Cougars
- In the System: Bronco Prospects Populating Provincial Program of Excellence Camps - Swift Current Broncos
- Chizen Thrilled to Have Been a Wheat King - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.