GAME RECAP: HIC 6, KAN 4: Dopico Spins Scoreless
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. (May 18, 2017) - Danny Dopico tossed 3.0 scoreless relief innings for Kannapolis, but Hickory's Yanio Perez and Ricky Valencia each homered to power the Crawdads past the Intimidators, 6-4, on Thursday night at Intimidators Stadium supported by Carolinas HealthCare System. Kannapolis (20-17) rallied in the eighth inning but came up short against the in-state rivals.
Bernardo Flores (5-3) took the loss, allowing four runs on eight hits over 4.0 innings while Hickory reliever Sal Mendez (3-0) earned the win. Former Intimidators pitcher Mat Ball, whom the White Sox traded to Texas in 2016, earned the save (3) for the Crawdads with a scoreless ninth inning.
Hickory took the lead with two runs in the second inning and two more in the third. Perez led off the top of the second with a triple to right field and scored two batters later on a Ti'Quan Forbes base hit. Anderson Tejeda smacked a 2-out double to cash Forbes for a 2-0 lead. Perez belted a 2-run home run (9) in the third to double the Crawdads' advantage, 4-0.
Dopico took over on the mound in the fifth inning and retired the first eight batters he faced on his way to three near-flawless innings. He struck out three and walking none while working around a base hit.
Mitch Roman kept the Intimidators in the game with RBI singles in the third and fifth innings, both times driving in Joel Booker, to cut into Hickory's lead, 4-2. Booker, who doubled in both innings, produced both at the plate and in the field with an over-the-shoulder catch crashing into the wall in center field .
In the eighth, Valencia padded Hickory's lead with a solo home run (1) off Lane Hobbs. In the home half of the frame, the Intimidators rallied with a wild pitch offense, scoring two runs on errant pitches by Crawdads reliever Kaleb Fontenot, scoring both Micker Adolfo and Antonio Rodriguez to pull within a run, 5-4. The 'Dads added an insurance run in the top of the ninth.
The series continues with a doubleheader on Friday, and one ticket is good for both games. Gates open at 4:30 p.m. with the first pitch of Game 1 set for 5:00 p.m. Friday's game is Get Healthy Kannapolis where fans can take a physical challenge for a chance to win Ballpark Bucks for healthy snacks at the concessions stand. Saturday, May 20 is Faith & Fireworks Night, and Sunday, May 21, the Intimidators are hosting Bark in the Park in partnership with South Ridge Veterinary Hospital. Tickets are available by calling the F&M Bank Box Office at 704-932-3267 or by visiting IntimidatorsBaseball.com .
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 19, 2017
- Drive Game Story (): Tourists Sneak Past Drive 6-5 on Friday - Greenville Drive
- Tourists Start Hot, Finish Strong in 6-5 Win - Asheville Tourists
- WV Power Game Report - 5=2F18=2F17 - COL 3 WVP 2 (10) - West Virginia Power
- RECAP: Corredor Plates Five in 11-8 Win over Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Walk-Off on Wild Pitch - Columbia Fireflies
- GAME RECAP: HIC 6, KAN 4: Dopico Spins Scoreless - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Augusta Cracks Open Scoreless Tie to Top RiverDogs, 9-4 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Off Day Attitude Bleeds into Double-Header - Asheville Tourists
- Early Smash Propels 'Hoppers Past Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Intimidators Stories
- Intimidators Announce New Food Distributor and F & B Director
- Nelly to Perform at Intimidators Stadium Supported by Atrium Health
- Intimidators Announce Participation in MiLB Hispanic Fan Engagement Campaign
- Intimidators Announce Field Staff for 2018
- Building Toward the Future