Game Recap 5-20
Fire Frogs Blank Cardinals
Cardinals Held to Two Hits
By: Justin Terry
Jupiter, FL - The Palm Beach Cardinals (22-20) were held to just two hits against the Florida Fire Frogs (19-24) on Bacon & Beerfest night at Roger Dean Stadium that led to a 5-0 defeat.
Khris Medlen pitched for the first time since 2016 and tossed six innings of shutout baseball giving up only one hit over the six innings. He walked three batters and struck out three more, getting a lot of ground ball outs. He got ten of the batters to get out via the ground ball.
The Fire Frogs looked like they were getting something going in the third as Alay Lago reached on a walk. Alejandro Salazar hit a single to the right-fielder Ricardo Bautista and Lago tried to reach third, but Bautista threw a bullet to Leobaldo Pina to get him by two steps at third and preserve the scoreless game.
Connor Jones got the start for the Cardinals and tossed five inning giving up five runs (three earned) on eight hits. He gave up one run in the fourth and was looking good until the sixth inning. He got a ground ball to Darren Seferina that was to his left and he threw it wide of Chris Chinea to allow Anfernee Seymour to get to second. Omar Obregon laid down a bunt single and got Seymour to third. Tyler Neslony singled in a run to make it 2-0. Nelsony and Obregon advanced on a wild pitch. Austin Riley then plated Obregon on a single making it 3-0. Jonathan Morales broke the game open on a single to centerfield to put the score at 5-0. Dailyn Martinez came in to pitch and got the next three outs to keep the Fire Frogs from scoring anymore runs.
Martinez pitched a scoreless seventh, Juan Perez pitched a perfect eighth with two strikeouts and Ramon Santos struck out the side in the ninth, but the Cardinals only got a hit from Chris Chinea in the ninth and could not score.
The two teams will play the rubber match tomorrow afternoon as Jake Woodford will take on Tyler Pike at 1:00 PM EST at Roger Dean Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 20, 2017
- Tortugas Sweep Doubleheader Saturday - Daytona Tortugas
- Blue Jays Cruise to 9-3 Win over Mets - St. Lucie Mets
- Game Recap 5-20 - Palm Beach Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Palm Beach Cardinals Stories
- Palm Beach Cardinals Begin Push for Back-to-Back Florida State League Championships
- Rick Ankiel to Throw out Ceremonial First Pitch at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium on Tuesday, August 14th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium August & September Promotional Schedule
- Homage to the Beard Night Tuesday, June 26th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium to Host 2019 Florida State League All-Star Game