Gallen, Edman Lead Palm Beach to Victory over Lakeland
Jupiter, FL - Zac Gallen tossed 8.2 innings of one run baseball, giving up four hits, walking none and striking out three. At one point, Gallen sent down twenty Flying Tigers in a row to lead Palm Beach to a 5-2 victory.
The Cardinals jumped out to an early lead in the first as Darren Seferina and Tommy Edman hit back-to-back singles. Seferina got to third on an error by the centerfielder on Edman's singled and scored the next pitch on a passed ball that got Edman to second. Randy Arozarena drove in Edman on a triple to right field and gave the Cardinals an early 2-0 lead after one.
Palm Beach added two more in the second inning to go up 4-0 after two. Thomas Spitz reached on a bunt single and got to second on a Blake Drake single. Both runners advanced on a sacrifice bunt off the bat of Jose Godoy. They later crossed the plate on a two-out single from Edman.
The Cardinal added the fifth run in the fifth as Godoy started the frame with a double and traded places with Edman on his third hit of the game also giving him his third run batted in on the night.
Zac Gallen took his lead and cruised all the way to the eighth inning after giving up two singles in the first inning. He gave up a one out double to Jose Azocar. Gallen came out to pitch the ninth and gave up a single to start the inning then got a ground ball that Joey Pankake beat out on the double play. Gallen forced Wade Hinkle to fly out for the second out of the inning, but his night was down as he handed the ball over to Brennan Leitao. Leitao gave up a two-run home run to Will Allen on the first pitch he threw. He ended the game striking out Zac Shepard to end the game and preserve the 5-2 victory for the Cardinals.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 30, 2017
- Win Slips Away in St. Lucie, 3-2 - Daytona Tortugas
- Marauders Take Game One of Four against Miracle - Fort Myers Miracle
- Lowe Cranks Seventh Homer in 6-1 Loss to Yankees - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Urena's Big Hits Lead Mets to 3-2 Win over Tortugas - St. Lucie Mets
- Gallen, Edman Lead Palm Beach to Victory over Lakeland - Palm Beach Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Palm Beach Cardinals Stories
- Rick Ankiel to Throw out Ceremonial First Pitch at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium on Tuesday, August 14th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium August & September Promotional Schedule
- Homage to the Beard Night Tuesday, June 26th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium to Host 2019 Florida State League All-Star Game
- Six Cardinals Named to Florida State League All-Star Game