Future Sport Lab Startups Showcase Innovation with Ryerson and MLSE Leaders
TORONTO, ON - The inaugural startups in Ryerson University and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE)'s Future of Sport Lab (FSL) showcased their innovative technology and business plans today in front of a packed room of 75+ of Canada's top sport and tech leaders at the Mattamy Athletic Centre in Toronto.
Each startup from the first cohort of the FSL received immersive programming in partnership with the Ted Rogers School of Business, direct guidance from notable mentors in the FSL network and access to leading academics and investors. Their work in the lab was highlighted by a unique opportunity to pilot their innovative technology across MLSE teams and venues. This included:
- Rival.ai (Toronto, ON) - Raptors Uprising GC, Toronto's NBA 2K team, used Rival.ai's artificial intelligence platform to create in-depth scouting reports on league opponents.
- SkillShark (Saskatoon, SK) - Toronto FC Academy piloted Skill Shark's athlete evaluations platform across one of their development teams. The technology was used to assess player performance and deliver analytic feedback to players.
- Spalk (New York, NY) - Raptors 905 leveraged Spalk's virtual sportscasting studio to create a unique broadcast experience remotely delivering French commentary on a live game broadcast.
- Stakes (New York, NY) - A free-to-play application of the real-time sports gaming software, which powers predictive trivia between fans, was integrated into the Toronto Raptors app and allowed hundreds of fans to make dynamic predictions throughout the game.
- The Gist (Toronto, ON) - The new platform with original sports content created by women for women gained unique access to MLSE teams including an exclusive interview with Toronto Raptors President Masai Ujiri on the announcement of the OVO Athletic Centre.
- Performance Phenomics (Toronto, ON) - Several MLSE teams are exploring Performance Phenomics' state-of-the-art brain imaging assessments tools to deliver new insights into athlete performance and recovery.
Future of Sport Lab will be accepting applications for its second cohort in the coming months.
Future of Sport Lab Quotes
"I've been incredibly impressed win the initial work coming out of the Future of Sport Lab especially the passion of the six startups. Ryerson and MLSE have created a wonderful environment for sport innovation and acceleration that will that will drive growth in the Canadian industry for years to come."
Chair, Future of Sport Lab
"We have been overwhelmed by the level of engagement for our first cohort. Not only an incredible commitment from our six startups, but also from our network of mentors, academics and all divisions at MLSE. The bigger sport tech community in Canada and abroad, have rallied around the lab and have helped to pave a foundation for continued innovation."
Director of Future of Sport Lab
Loretta Rogers Research Chair in Sport Marketing with the Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson University.
"Through the Future of Sport Lab and the commitment from our partners at Ryerson, the six companies in our first cohort were able to apply their innovative technology across our sports brands. We hope today's event inspires the next round of FSL applicants and create more extraordinary experiences for their customers and our fans."
Chief Technology & Digital Officer, MLSE
About The Future of Sport Lab
The Future of Sport Lab (FSL) is a new ecosystem anchored in sport innovation, created through the shared vision of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (MLSE) and Ryerson University; with links to sport industry research and insights, and sport business education (including the new MBA Specialization in Sport Business), housed in the Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from May 7, 2019
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Raptors 905 Stories
- Future Sport Lab Startups Showcase Innovation with Ryerson and MLSE Leaders
- Chris Boucher and Jordan Loyd Named to All-G League Team
- Chris Boucher Named the 2018-19 NBA G League Most Valuable Player and the 2018-19 NBA G League Defensive Player of the Year
- Raptors 905 Set to Face Grand Rapids in Round One
- Raptors 905 Claim Wade Baldwin IV