FredNats Add Witt and Fernandez to Active Roster
LYNCHBURG, VA - The Fredericksburg Nationals announced today that they have placed infielder José Sánchez and outfielder Ricardo Méndez on the Injured List, effective May 5. They added infielder Paul Witt to the active roster from Extended Spring Training before Wednesday's game, and added outfielder Braian Fernandez to the active roster from Extended Spring Training in advance of tonight's game at Lynchburg.
Witt, a 23-year-old from Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, made his professional debut as a defensive replacement at shortstop in the eighth inning of Wednesday's game against the Hillcats. The infielder was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Virginia Commonwealth University last summer in the days following the 2020 Draft. He batted .326 in his collegiate career with the Rams, earning Atlantic 10 All-Conference First Team honors at second base in 2019.
Fernandez, a 22-year-old from Caracas, Venezuela, was signed as an international free agent in 2017 and is a .291 hitter in two seasons at the Rookie level. In 2019, he played 30 games for the GCL Nationals and batted .245 with 1 home run and 12 RBI.
Sánchez and Méndez both started on Opening Day for the FredNats. Sánchez went 1-for-4 with an RBI groundout, and Méndez went 1-for-4 before being lifted in the eighth inning.
Witt is wearing uniform number 8, and Fernandez will wear uniform number 30.
The FredNats continue their road series against the Lynchburg Hillcats tonight at 6:30. Fans can listen live to the radio broadcast on the FredNats Baseball Network with FredNats On Deck beginning at 6:15. After a week on the road, the FredNats will begin their home schedule on Tuesday, May 11 as they welcome the Delmarva Shorebirds to FredNats Ballpark.
The Fredericksburg Nationals are a minor league affiliate of the Washington Nationals in the Low-A East League. They are playing their inaugural 2021 season at the brand new, state-of-the-art FredNats Ballpark located at 42 Jackie Robinson Way next to the Fredericksburg Expo & Convention Center in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Stay up to date with the team online at www.frednats.com and follow the Fredericksburg Nationals on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @FXBGNats.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from May 6, 2021
- Dieterich Hits First FredNats Homer in 8-2 Defeat - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Jackets Split Doubleheader with Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- Pitching Name of the Game in Doubleheader Split - Columbia Fireflies
- Wood Ducks Bats Keep Swinging in 2021 - Down East Wood Ducks
- FredNats Add Witt and Fernandez to Active Roster - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Down East Wood Ducks Announce Changes to Concessions - Down East Wood Ducks
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes at Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Kannapolis' Comeback Falls Short Wednesday Night against the Woodies - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Ballers Drop Inaugural Game to Wood Ducks - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- 'Birds Open Season with Split Bill against Sox - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hillcats Torch Nationals - Lynchburg Hillcats
- 'Cats Win Second Straight, 5-3 Versus Fayetteville - Carolina Mudcats
- Down East Scores One in Ninth to Sneak out a Win - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.