FOX Sports Ohio to Air Replay of Monsters' 2016 Championship-Clinching Game
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters announced today that FOX Sports Ohio will be airing a special replay of the team's cup-clinching game four of the 2016 Calder Cup Finals on Sunday, May 3, at 7 p.m. Fans can tune into FOX Sports Ohio to watch the Monsters complete a series sweep of the Hershey Bears with a thrilling 1-0 overtime victory to supply Cleveland with the city's first professional hockey championship since 1964.
The Monsters entered the 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs after finishing second in the Central Division with a 43-22-6-5 record during the regular season. The team took control of the Central Division Semi-Finals against the Rockford IceHogs, carrying out a three-game sweep in the best-of-five game series before facing off against the Grand Rapids Griffins in the Central Division Finals. The Monsters closed out their best-of-seven series against the Griffins in six games with two matchups decided in overtime. Moving on to the Western Conference Finals, the Monsters met the Ontario Reign and completed another series sweep concluding with the longest game of the team's postseason with the deciding goal coming six-plus minutes into a second overtime period.
The Monsters faced off against the Hershey Bears in the Calder Cup Finals and finalized their third sweep of the postseason with two of the victories decided in overtime, including the team's historic cup-clinching game. The decisive fourth game of the series that culminated in the Monsters claiming the Calder Cup, was played in front of a sold-out crowd of 19,665 fans, marking the largest crowd in franchise history and second largest in American Hockey League playoff history.
Monsters alumni and current Columbus Blue Jackets forward Oliver Bjorkstrand scored the Cup-clinching marker with 1.9 seconds left in overtime for his team-leading 10th goal of the postseason, helping the Herning, Denmark native claim the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as the Most Valuable Player of the Calder Cup Playoffs. Along with Bjorkstrand, 10 players from the 2016 championship team moved on to appear for the Blue Jackets including current players Josh Anderson, Dean Kukan, Zach Werenski and Joonas Korpisalo.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 1, 2020
- Prime Ticket and FOX Sports San Diego Continue to Air Classic Ducks Games - San Diego Gulls
- Our Family: Tucson's Hockey Houghs - Tucson Roadrunners
- Preds Sign Ben Harpur to Two-Way Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- Flames Sign Dustin Wolf - Stockton Heat
- FOX Sports Ohio to Air Replay of Monsters' 2016 Championship-Clinching Game - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Announce New Television Program on SportsTime Ohio, Monsters OT, Presented by University Hospitals Sports Medicine
- Monsters Sign Forward Carson Meyer to AHL Contract
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Thomas Schemitsch to AHL Contract
- Cavs, Monsters and Charge Announce Multi-Year Extension of Radio Broadcast Agreement
- Monsters Sign Forward Tyler Sikura to AHL Contract