Four Arms Throw Combined Two-Hitter in 1-0 Win
AKRON, OH - Despite a one hour and 41 minute rain delay, the Thunder pitching staff kept their rhythm, holding the Akron RubberDucks to just two hits for the second straight game, in a 1-0 win on Saturday afternoon at Canal Park.
Dillon Tate, Jose Mesa Jr., Kaleb Ort and Jordan Foley combined on the two-hitter to give the Thunder a series victory. Trenton will go for the sweep on Sunday afternoon at 2:05pm.
Prior to the rain delay, Akron earned their only baserunner in the third inning when RF Connor Marabell began the frame with a single to center field off of Tate. The right-hander needed just 43 pitches to strike out four batters and complete four innings.
Jhalan Jackson accounted for the only run of the day with a solo home run on the first pitch of the second inning. Jackson's fifth home run of the season leads the Eastern League and ranks second in all of Minor League Baseball.
Following the delay, Mesa Jr. and Ort retired 12-of-the-13 batters they faced to protect the 1-0 lead. In the ninth inning, Foley allowed a single to Daniel Salters then walked back-to-back hitters to load the bases with one out. The Thunder closer came back to strike out Mark Mathias and get Bobby Bradley to ground out and earn the one-run victory.
Gosuke Katoh extended his on-base streak to nine games to begin the season with a walk in the eighth inning.
Your Thunder continue their road trip on Sunday afternoon at 2:05pm against the RubberDucks. RHP Will Carter (1-0, 3.86) will start for the Thunder, RHP Shao-Ching Chiang (1-0, 0.00) will go for Akron. Pre-game coverage begins at 1:50pm on 920 AM The Jersey and online www.TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 14, 2018
- Bowie Downs Senators 15-6 in Ten Innings - Harrisburg Senators
- Joseph Powers Baysox Offensive Eruption in 15-6 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Yard Goats Denied Third Straight Win, Lose 5-2 - Hartford Yard Goats
- Squirrels Keep the Good Times Rolling on Saturday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels steal game two 5-4 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Outlast SeaWolves, Weather for Extra-Inning Win - Altoona Curve
- RubberDucks Fall in Masterful Pitching Performance - Akron RubberDucks
- Four Arms Throw Combined Two-Hitter in 1-0 Win - Trenton Thunder
- SeaWolves Fall to Curve in Extras - Erie SeaWolves
- Shawaryn Dazzles in 3-0 Win over Ponies - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies "Singled" out in Loss to Sea Dogs, 3-0 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rule 5 Selection Returns from Baltimore - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 14th vs. Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #8 - Rumble Ponies (3-4) at Sea Dogs (2-5) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Grand Slam We Care Foundation Makes Donation to Support American Red Cross - Puerto Rico
- Bobblehead Giveaways Set for 2020 Season at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Thunder Set 2020 Fireworks Schedule at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Lydia Rios Nominated for Rawlings Woman Executive of the Year Award
- River Fest Features New Food and Drink Items; Pork Roll Eating Championship Competitors Revealed