Former UGA Star Roquan Smith to Appear at Coolray Field on April 14
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Former University of Georgia standout and consensus 2017 All-America linebacker Roquan Smith will throw out the ceremonial first pitch and meet with fans at the Gwinnett Stripers game on Saturday, April 14.
Smith will be on the Coolray Field main concourse approximately one hour prior to the 6:05 p.m. ET game against the Rochester Red Wings to sign autographs and take pictures with fans (max. 1 autograph and/or 1 photo per person; autograph must be on Stripers-provided signature card). He will then take the pitcher's mound to throw out the first pitch.
Between innings, fans can enjoy football-themed entertainment on the field presented by the Stripers' promotions staff.
Smith, a Montezuma, Ga. native, helped lead the Bulldogs to the 2017 SEC championship over Auburn and to the 2018 National Championship game against Alabama. He was named 2017 SEC Defensive Player of the Year, First Team All-America by several outlets including Associated Press, Walter Camp, and the American Football Coaches Association, and received the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker.
After his accolade-filled junior season, Smith announced in January that he would enter the NFL Draft, held April 26-28 in Arlington, Texas. He is a projected first-round pick by NFL.com, ESPN, 247Sports and other mock drafts.
Aside from the chance to meet Smith, the first 2,500 fans through the gates will receive a Stripers "Fishtail" Bobble, presented by Coolray Heating & Cooling. A twist on the conventional bobblehead, this bass modeled after the Stripers' primary logo features a bobbling tail.
Tickets for April 14, as well as all single-game tickets, will go on sale to the public at 10 a.m. on Saturday, March 10. Purchase at the Coolray Field Ticket Office, by calling 678-277-0340 or by visiting GoStripers.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from March 6, 2018
- Tides Announce 2018 Promotional Schedule - Norfolk Tides
- Tonight's Game Canceled Due to Inclement Weather - Charlotte Knights
- Former UGA Star Roquan Smith to Appear at Coolray Field on April 14 - Gwinnett Stripers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Adam English Named Gwinnett Stripers' Vice President and General Manager
- Gwinnett Stripers Congratulate Former Manager Brian Snitker, Former Outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. on 2018 National League Awards
- Stripers Issue Statement on the Passing of Gwinnett Coach Jose Mota
- Atlanta Braves and Minor League Affiliates to Collect Food and Supply Donations for Hurricane Michael Relief Efforts
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2019 Home Game Times