Former FC Dallas Captain Daniel Hernandez Announces Retirement
FRISCO, Texas (Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2012) - After 15 seasons of professional soccer, former SMU product and Tyler, Texas, native Daniel Hernandez announced his retirement today. Effective immediately, Hernandez will transition into a coaching role with FC Dallas.
"Being able to play out the past four seasons of my MLS career in front of my friends and family here in Dallas has been very memorable," said Hernandez. "I am excited to start the next phase of my MLS career with FC Dallas."
Hernandez signed with FC Dallas on Sept. 8, 2009. The 36-year-old midfielder played in 89 matches for FC Dallas between 2009 and 2012, scoring two goals and adding five assists. FC Dallas compiled a 34-26-29 record including 26 shutouts in games in which Hernandez played. He captained the 2010 squad to the club's first Western Conference Championship and appearance in MLS Cup. He played every minute of FC Dallas' four playoff matches in 2010 despite suffering a torn lateral meniscus, which required postseason surgery.
"FC Dallas appreciates all the hard work and leadership that Daniel Hernandez has demonstrated over the past four seasons," said FC Dallas head coach Schellas Hyndman. "We look forward to working with Daniel as he steps into a coaching role with the club."
In 13 seasons of MLS soccer, Hernandez logged 15,105 minutes in 204 career matches between 1998 and 2012. Drafted in the second round (18th overall) of the 1998 MLS College Draft by Los Angeles, Hernandez played in 115 matches for the Galaxy, Tampa Bay Mutiny, New York Red Bulls and New England Revolution before joining FC Dallas.
Outside of MLS competition, Hernandez also played with Necaxa, Puebla and Jaguares de Chiapas of the Mexican First Division. Hernandez was called into U.S. National Team camp for a friendly against El Salvador on Nov. 17, 2002 and a World Cup Qualifier vs. Panama on Oct. 12, 2005.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 21, 2012
- Four Chivas USA Academy Products Invited to 2012 Winter Showcase - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Five San Jose Earthquakes Players Undergo Successful Surgical Procedures - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Revs Move Quickly to Bolster Squad - New England Revolution
- Impact to Hold Three-Day Tryout for Sport-Études Program - Montreal Impact
- Former FC Dallas Captain Daniel Hernandez Announces Retirement - FC Dallas
- D.C. United, Branko Boskovic Mutually Agree to Part Ways - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.