Formella's 2020 Year of the Brace
When Dariusz Formella joined Republic FC midway through the 2019 season, he was ready to prove himself abroad for the first time in his career.
Right off the bat, he made a positive first impression and netted two game winning goals during his debut campaign. Heading into the 2020 USL Championship season, Darek was having a dazzling preseason and was prepared to be a crucial part of Sacramento's attractive style of attacking soccer.
Offensively, he was a formidable force regardless of if he was lining up on the wing, leading the lines as the lone front man or working alongside another striker for the boys in Old Glory Red. So much so that at the conclusion of this past regular season, Formella was noted in the league's top ten goalscoring list after a season where he netted a team-high eight goals en route to being voted on by his teammates as the squad's MVP.
When the league returned to play after a four-month hiatus, Formella looked like he was in peak form and performed remarkably against Tacoma Defiance on July 13 during SRFC's first game back. The match was Formella's first on the season and he set the tone for the year ahead with a two-goal game against the Pacific Northwest club - earning him USL Championship Team of the Week honors. His first of his two scores were from the penalty spot, a first for Formella during his Sacramento career.
But Formella was far from finished tormenting Tacoma after that performance.
Just over one month later, Defiance visited Papa Murphy's Park again and were handed a 3-1 loss as Cameron Iwasa scored his 50th career goal and Formella bookended the milestone with goals of his own. The multigoal game meant Darek had now scored four goals in just two games against Tacoma - an average of one goal every 44 minutes - and earned his second TOTW selection on the year.
Formella continued his fine season, scoring in back-to-back matches in mid-September before finishing the regular season on a high. On October 3 at home against Portland Timbers 2, Formella found the back of the net in the second minute and again in the fourth to set a new club record for the fastest brace scored in Republic FC history.
Again, Formella found his name as a TOTW selection - his third on the season.
With a full season waiting for Formella in 2021, SRFC fans will be looking forward to another campaign of the Polish playmaker curating no shortage of offensive brilliance and stunning strikes.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 23, 2020
- Formella's 2020 Year of the Brace - Sacramento Republic FC
- Around the Leagues: Holiday Weekend Hosting Great Games - Sacramento Republic FC
- Houston Dynamo FC & Rio Grande Valley FC Restructure Affiliate Partnership - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Goalkeeper Matthew Cardone Returns for 2021 Season - San Antonio FC
- Rowdies Re-Sign Defender Max Lachowecki - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- SRFC Training Camp Notebook: Week 5
- Republic FC Bolsters Health & Wellness Safeguards, Enlists VenueNext to Create Enhanced Mobile-Powered Stadium Experience
- Republic FC's Flag Unveiled in the USL Championship's Culture Collection
- Fatai Alashe Named One of the USL's Top Defensive Midfielders
- Around the Leagues: The Return of MLS and Major Matchups Across the Globe