Forge FC Signs Forward Marcel Zajac
Forge FC announced Tuesday the club has signed Canadian forward Marcel Zajac to a multi-year contract.
"Marcel was a standout attacking player and leader at the University of Akron," said Bobby Smyrniotis, Technical Director and Head Coach of Forge FC. "Coming from one of the top soccer programs in the USA, his accolades garnered the attention of many teams across North America and we're excited he'll be forgoing his final year of NCAA eligibility to join our club in Hamilton."
Zajac, 20, made 19 appearances with 15 starts in his junior year for the University of Akron in 2018. He registered 11 goals and eight assists with 22 shots on goal to help lead the Zips to the national title game against Maryland. In 54 appearances with 35 starts over three years at Akron (2016-18), the 5-10, 155-pound native of Mississauga, Ontario scored 18 goals and added nine assists with 43 shots on goal.
Prior to his time with the Zips, Zajac represented Canada at the youth National Team level, including matches with the U-17 squad. He also played his youth football at Sigma FC under Smyrniotis.
Forge FC will kick off the inaugural CPL season in April 2019. For season ticket information, please visit www.forgefootball.club.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Premier League message board...
Canadian Premier League Stories from January 8, 2019
- Forge FC Signs Forward Marcel Zajac - Forge FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Forge FC Stories
- Forge FC Aquires Emery Welshman on Loan from FC Cincinnati
- Forge FC Signs Canadian Midfielder David Choiniere
- Co-Founder Bob Young & Forge FC to Celebrate Inaugural CPL Match with 'Soccer Unites Hamilton'
- Forge FC Adds Reynders and Albert to Coaching Staff
- Forge FC Adds Four Players to Roster