Flying Squirrels 9-2 RubberDucks 7-0--Recap and Box Scores
August 19, 2017
RubberDucks Game Recap
Game 1: Flying Squirrels 9 RubberDucks 7
WP: Seth Rosin (2-1) LP: Luis Lugo (8-7) Save: Tyler Cyr (17)
Game 2: Flying Squirrels 2 RubberDucks 0
WP: Dan Slania (4-3) LP: Matt Whitehouse (7-7) Save: none
Richmond's Dan Slania tossed a complete-game, seven-inning shutout, lifting the Flying Squirrels to a 2-0 win and a doubleheader sweep of the Akron RubberDucks Saturday night at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.
The Flying Squirrels (53-71) snapped a scoreless tie in the fifth inning of the nightcap by scoring two runs against Matt Whitehouse. Hunter Cole led off with a single, moved to third on a single by K.C. Hobson, and scored on a fielding error by Akron's Yu Chang. After a sacrifice bunt by Dan Carbonell, Rando Moreno reached on an infield hit to third baseman Joe Sever to drive in Hobson and make it 2-0.
Slania (4-3) fired his first complete game and shutout of the season. After allowing a pair of singles in the first inning, he gave up no more hits and issued just one walk. He struck out eight, including Mike Papi to end the game. Whitehouse (7-7) also went the distance, hurling six innings, but absorbing the tough-luck loss. He allowed only four hits and struck out four. Whitehouse did not allow a hit until the fourth inning.
The RubberDucks (62-62) dropped the first game, 9-7, in the completion of Friday's suspended game. After scoring seven runs in the first inning against Luis Lugo (8-7), the Flying Squirrels (53-71) needed Myles Schroder's two-run homer in the eighth to hold off the Ducks. Todd Hankins was 4-5, with a double, in Game 1. Papi and Bobby Bradley each hit solo homers for Akron. Bradley hit his 20th of the season and also added an RBI double to finish 2-4. Joe Sever chipped in a two-run single.
The RubberDucks are 1-4 on the road trip...The RubberDucks now sit in 3rd place in the EL West, three games out of first, with 16 games left to play...Time of games: 3:01/1:38 ... Attendance: 9,355.
The RubberDucks and Flying Squirrels will conclude the series and the road trip on Sunday afternoon at 12:05. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 19, 2017
- Game Recap: Playoffs Thunder Punch Ticket, Win 6-4 - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Split Double-Header in New Hampshire - Altoona Curve
- Flying Squirrels 9-2 RubberDucks 7-0--Recap and Box Scores - Akron RubberDucks
- Game Recap: Baysox Blank SeaWolves 9-0 - Erie SeaWolves
- Squirrels Sweep DH against Akron - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- RubberDucks to Honor Browns Legend Joe Thomas with New Extreme Food Item
- RubberDucks National Anthem Auditions Set for March 17
- RubberDucks Release Full 2018 Promotional Calendar
- RubberDucks Announce Staff Changes for 2018 Season
- RubberDucks Six-Hour Suite Heart Special Sale Is February 22