Flores, Loria, Paredes Called up for International Matches
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that midfielders Cristhian Paredes, Marvin LorÃa and Andrés Flores have been called up by their respective countries for international matches. Paredes has been called in by the Paraguay U-23 Men's National Team for the 2020 CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament between Jan. 18-Feb. 9, LorÃa has been called in by the Costa Rica National Team for a friendly against the U.S. Men's National Team on Feb. 1, while Flores will join El Salvador for a friendly match against Iceland on Jan. 19.
Paredes and Paraguay will participate in the 2020 CONMEBOL Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship in Colombia between Jan.18-Feb. 9. Competing in Group B, La Albirroja will face Uruguay (Sunday, Jan. 19, at Estadio Centenario in Armenia), Bolivia (Wed., Jan. 22, at Estadio HernÃ¡n RamÃrez Villegas in Pereira), Peru (Saturday, Jan. 25, at Estadio Centenario) and Brazil (Friday, Jan. 31, at Estadio Centenario) during the tournament. The top two teams will qualify for the Men's Olympic Football Tournament Tokyo 2020.
Paredes, 21, joined the Paraguay U-23 Team last month and made two appearances (two starts) in a 2-2 home draw against Colombia in a friendly match on Dec. 21, 2019, and a 1-1 draw on the road against Argentina on Jan. 7, 2020. Paredes has been capped six times for Paraguay's senior men's national team.
LorÃa will join Costa Rica ahead of a friendly match against the U.S. Men's National Team on Saturday, Feb. 1, at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, Calif.; kickoff is set for 12:55 p.m. (Pacific). LorÃa, 22, who receives his second call-up to the senior men's national team, previously started and played 77 minutes in a 2-0 loss against the U.S. Men's National Team at Avaya Stadium in San Jose, Calif., on Feb. 2, 2019. The San José, Costa Rica, native has also represented Costa Rica at the youth level, including making three appearances (1 start) at the 2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship in Costa Rica.
Flores and El Salvador will face Iceland at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, Calif., on Sunday, Jan. 19: kickoff is set for 4 p.m. (Pacific). Flores, 29, has been capped 65 times for La Selecta since making his debut in 2010, more recently featuring in a Concacaf Nations League matches against the Dominican Republic on Sept. 10, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 15, 2020
- LAFC Acquires Dutch Goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Becomes Founding Partner of Seattle Chapter of Women in Sports and Events - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs Homegrown Forward Milan Iloski - Real Salt Lake
- Houston Dynamo Announce 2020 Promotional Schedule - Houston Dynamo FC
- Flores, Loria, Paredes Called up for International Matches - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Sign Goalkeeper Eric Lopez to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Nashville SC Signs Tah Brian Anunga - Nashville SC
- LAFC Announces BODYARMOR as the Club'sofficial Sports Drink Partner - Los Angeles FC
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of the New York Red Bulls - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- BODYARMOR, Kobe Bryant and MLS Players Kick off Major League Soccer Partnership - MLS
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of D.C. United - D.C. United
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Inter Miami CF - Inter Miami CF
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of FC Cincinnati - FC Cincinnati
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Philadelphia Union - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Hire 98.5 the Sports Hub Anchor Mike "Sarge" Riley as Public Address Announcer - New England Revolution
- Bodyarmor Becomes Official Sports Drink of Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo FC
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Chicago Fire FC - Chicago Fire FC
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Technical Staff Additions - Chicago Fire FC
- Impact Completes Permanent Transfer of Ballou Tabla - Club de Foot Montreal
- D.C. United and Leidos Extend Presenting Partner Agreement - D.C. United
- 2020 FC Cincinnati Match Tickets Now Available to the Public - FC Cincinnati
- Whitecaps FC and Midfielder Jon Erice Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Goalkeeper Jeff Attinella Announces Retirement
- Four Timbers Players Called up for International Duty
- Timbers Defenders Larrys Mabiala and Dario Zuparic Undergo Successful Athletic Pubalgia Surgeries
- Portland Timbers Transfer Club Legend Diego Valeri to Club Atlético Lanús
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Diego Chara to Multi-Year Contract Extension